Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops ?

• 30-05-2002 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of places where I can get a reasonably priced laptop.

Looking for:

1ghz or above processor,
    3D card,
    Modem,
    DVD/CD-RW
    15 GB or above HD
    128 OR 256mb ram.

Secondhand ones seem to cost more than new ones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

People always ask crazy money for second hand laptops, it seems they hold their value better than desktops. I'd love to hear of a place for cheap laptops, but all I want is a p2 300 or above with at least 64 mb ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Give us your idea of a reasonable price and then if we see one we can point you in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Dunno really. Desktops are my thing, I haven't had a laptop for nearly 2 years now. I saw a few (with naff graphics) for about 1600 in PCWorld. I'm thinking maybe thats as good as it gets.

I need it as a portable work horse, (development work, hence the large amount of ram required). The odd bit of entertainment when on the road (hence DVD and 3d card), and finally (and I suppose any laptop could provide this) I want to be able to plug it into the car and run it from there, using mapoint and a small GPS revceiver for laptops which will tell me where the hell I am when I drive around Europe this summer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Personally, I swear by EBay

Check http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2026520149

I've bought from this company before and can recommend them,

HTH, Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

have a look here:
    www.higrade.com
    or is it www.hi-grade.co.uk

its something like that
    elexes got a laptop from them last year afair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Go down to beyond 2000 on chatham row off grafton street and see what Acers they have, theyll do a deal.

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you want performance at a very reasonable price and can live without an internal battery go for one of the DeskNote series (lots of places sell them). They're actually constructed from Desktop components (No PCMCIA or internal battery (you can buy an external one), Desktop Model CPUs etc. just squished into a portable case. The Integrated Lan/modem and 4 USB-2 ports on the latest models make up for the loss of the PCMCIA slots. Excellent machines if by on the move you mean workspace to workspace or home.

I picked up the A928 in the states - 2Ghz P4 (Northwood core), 512mb DDR ram, 40Gb Hdd, DVD+CDRW, 15" screen, integrated SIS gfx (About Voodoo3 power) and sound for $1700. Sweet deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by MiCr0
    have a look here:
    www.higrade.com
    or is it www.hi-grade.co.uk

its something like that
    elexes got a laptop from them last year afair

tis true i did and ive still got it still using it nothing has broken yet and dosnt look like it will it takes them a month tho to build it for ya after they recieve the cash .

but with current exchange rates i wouldnt reccomend buying from any uk place . did u ever think about the usa for getting a laptop ??? you could get one of those dell ones i think there warrientys will allow u to get it fixed in ireland if somthing goes wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dawn computers sell second hand parts.

What does anyone think

www.dawncomputers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Captain Halibut

I'm trying to get rid of mine - P3 567 celeron 160mB ram [8mB video sharing] ATA 33 4.6Gb HDD 2 USB 56k built-in. Anyone know any shops happy to buy? [Have original sales invoice]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

How much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hmm, I'm liking the sound of those DeskNotes, anywhere in Ireland sell them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Capt Halibut, you need to either come back and post an email address that we may contact you on for more info about that laptop...or enable email/private messaging in your profile...

i think theres loads of buyers of second hand laptops at this site, you might try a post in the for sale forum if you are serious

Advertisement