Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Pc

• 21-07-2001 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

hey, I'm starting to build a pc on my own soon and im looking for places to get the parts im looking for... case/motherboard/graphics card...etc. I've found a nice place at http://www.marx-computers.com and Maples off of Henry St. in Dublin, any suggestions tho for good places to go to buy the kind of equipment i'd be looking for?

baring in mind Dublin is about the only city i could goto to get parts and i'd prefer to buy online.

Farls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I think you mean Maplins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Thats the place

Farls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tarzan on these boards here can get you stuff from the US - I bought a 40gig IBM 60GXP hard drive from him and saved a nice chunk of the price.

I would think you'd save more on a large order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Try IT Direct ( www.itdirect.ie ), it's fairly good. It's on/off Parliament street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Farl,
    You probably already know, but just incase smile.gif ... "Peats", Parnell St. You can purchase online too.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

My two pence worth:

I recently built myself a new big rig, I bought from both ITD www.itdirect.ie (case and RAM) and Overclockers www.overclockers.co.uk (processor, heat sink/cpu fan, thermaltake kits, extra fans, floppy, hard drive) as between the two of them I got some pretty good kit at decent prices (the other bits I bought through work).
    My advice would be to check both websites and compare prices (include Sterling differential and postage) and then decide who to buy from.
    Personally, I would not consider Peats as I have never been impressed with them pricewise.
    Not sure about components from Maplin but they do great deals on a stack of 100 CDR.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

Stay the hell away from peats, expenisve hole, malpin is full of asswhole staff, id only ever go inthere if i was in a rush, and need afew cables or a few cd rws,

Look At www.dabs.com, they have good price on most things, and a huge range,
    most of all its a flat 20 sterling for shipping, so buy your monitor there and you case(allot better range then marx)

look at overclockers.co.uk and dabs.com but uk sites, with very good irish shiping,

Warning stay the hell away from scan.co.uk, great place for buying if you in the uk but changes are if you in ireland you package will be wrong, wont arrive or arrive late.

Thanks lads, ITdirect seem to be very good and a lot cheaper than marx computers.

I have to agree with Gladiator on all he says here tho i was in Maplin the other day..the staff were the worst i ever seen in my life its a good store but needs to loose some tools from behind the counter.

I dont like Peats either not only the fact their expensive but i used some of their equipment (circuits/fans) for an engineering project i made not so long ago and they just simply weren't upto scratch plus it took decades to get the stuff off them.

I wouldn't mind talking to Samson a bit more tho like what kind of setup did u build?

Farls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Try http://www.price-guide.co.uk to what places do the best deals. (Only UK stores though).

And http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/ is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

http://www.tekheads.o.uk

They have some really neat stuff - good prices too. Never ordered from them, but most people seem to rate them quite highly

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Farls,

The system I built is as follows:
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz clocked at 1.44Ghz (Globalwin CAK38 cooler)
    Asus A7V mobo
    Quantum Fireball 40GB 7200 hard disk
    512MB RAM 133 with thermaltake spreaders/coolers
    Radeon 64DDR graphics (overclocked by about 12%)
    Plus the usual bits: floppy, CDRW, DVD, Eicon Diva, SCSI card, Soundblaster Live 5.1, 2 extra fans, case with 300W PSU

I can't come up with the exact cost at the minute but I will post it tomorrow (when I dig out my receipts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭tarzan

newegg.com take a look here if you want and see if
    youre interested in anything from there. as munch said, ive bought hardware for
    a good few people from here, and mailed to them.

[This message has been edited by tarzan (edited 23-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    Stay the hell away from peats, expenisve hole, malpin is full of asswhole staff, id only ever go inthere if i was in a rush, and need afew cables or a few cd rws,
    </font>

ROFL!!!!!!

This has to be the worst board to say that on you fool!!!!!!

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

i know, buts its true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I would reccomend looking at the toda only prices on www.scan.co.uk .
    They often have bare bone specials, where you can get everything you need, along with some sort of discounted monitor. Again i believe its a flat 20 quid for delivery.

You can often build a gig + machine for 300-350 sterling or so, (not inc. monitor or peripherals) using good brand name parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Gladiator, I didn't think it was directed at me, and you were right in what you said. Basically there is a pack of retards working there right now, myself exempted of course. If you come in, ask for phil, and I'll help you out.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xterminator:
    I would reccomend looking at the toda only prices on www.scan.co.uk .
    They often have bare bone specials, where you can get everything you need, along with some sort of discounted monitor. Again i believe its a flat 20 quid for delivery.

You can often build a gig + machine for 300-350 sterling or so, (not inc. monitor or peripherals) using good brand name parts.
    </font>

didnt you read my post, i strongly advise against buying from them,
    Allso the today specials aint so great as they dont include vat,
    i often find things cheaper at dabs or overclockers.co.uk allso the ultra and geforce 3 they sell are sub standard, thats why they are so cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

And obviously other people have tried them and had good results. Otherwise they wouldnt be recommending them.

A friend of mine buys from them all the time and never had problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Scan are very reliable in my opinion. I've bought about 4 systems (components) from them and they always delivered within 4 days.
    Delivery is expensive if you're only buying a couple of things but it can work out fairly cheap if you're spending a lot.

nope sorry, ive know several people who have been messed about by them,

the only person i know able to get 100% all his stuff from them is a guy with a shipping address in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its ok sutty, apart from me, he's got the nail on the head.

i actually didnt know you worked there in case you think it was directed at you,

i talked to your boss, the foreign guy that works there on the phone once, he sound like a *****, was that just me

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 23-07-2001).]

Thanks for all the help ppl.....greatly appreciated, i first thought of purchasing in England but wasn't too sure about shipping it seems to be cool going by most of ye so i'll give it a try once i get my laptop sold on! (hopefully this week) then you can answer my threads on such things as "i think its broke" and "puter still won't work!"...hehe

i'll actually post a list of what im getting before i purchase and you can give an honest opinion on them

Farls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Tarzans the way forward, put through my order tonight, Munch, did you get your Harddrive yet??

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah Lump, got it last week.

(btw, thanks tarzan smile.gif)

- Munch

Advertisement