Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraception

• 30-05-2002 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My partner had to stop taking the pill because of a recurring headache and since then we have relied on timing and condoms (at the same time to be sure!) for contraception. Can anyone comment on other methods or the safety of our current method as I'm sure there are many couples in similar situations.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

ok, first she should be talking to her obgyn about this, but if you want to look it up on the internet its as simple as typing in contraception under search.
    I will tell you that I know the situation you are in and there are many many other options.
    The depo shot, The new patch (this is great!), the arm implant, the IUD (also great!) I had a friend that couldnt take the pill because it triggered migraines, so she got the IUD...it's great.
    It's good for 10 years and you can remove it anytime before then if you want to plan to have kids...it does not effect your ability to have kids once removed...the side effects are minimal and a low % of women even suffer from side effects. It is inserted in the cervix by your obgyn, you dont feel it and it's 100% effective.
    no pills no condoms (except to prevent disease's ofcourse)
    no kids. :)
    hope this helped a bit...like I said, it's easy enough to look up on the net and there are pamphlets available at any obgyn office :)
    good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

If the pill she was using gave her head aches she should try a different brand , women act differently to different brands of pill , they are not all the same.

My g/f tried a different one to what she was using and her sex drive went down hill and she was tired all the time , changed pill again and everything was fine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Different pills, different responses. This is why a doctor will prescribe a pill for 2 months first to see how you/she responds. They can be very different.

Other than that I wouldn't rely on timing. It's asking for trouble.

I'd say IUD aswell, or the shot. But she really should be talking to her doctor about this, as she will be able to recommend different options based on medical facts.

The VHI website has some lists and handy facts:
    http://www.vhihealthe.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all! Little bit apprehensive about having an IUD fitted but that website does the trick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

An ex of mine used to have the IUD fitted and it used to giver her terrible cramps during her period. When removed all was fine.
    But again, different women, different reactions.

• Advertisement

It's really down to the individual I think. I've tried 5 different brands of the pill now and all have caused headaches and high blood pressure. I've been advised not to try shots as that will most likely cause a similar reaction. It seems to be quite a common problem amongst my friends too. I haven't tried the IUD yet, I find the idea a bit yucky, but I guess there's one good method for everyone (you would certainly hope so anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Shots and the oill are pretty much the same thing, chemical wise, but if youget any side effects with the shots then you'r stuck with them until it wears off. Some women can have every adverse reactions to IUD (toxic shock, scary stuff), but I know loads of other women who swear by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Theres a new form of the pill out where you get an injection into your side and it last for 3 months, and the side effects (so i'm told) are relatively little, one big one is some women find their period stops completely with it and others dont.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

my girlfriend gets the injection every 3 months
    so she doesnt get any periods at all

personally i think that couldnt be right, seeing as its a natural cycle women go thru and completely stopping it sounds a bit dodgy to me, but seems 2 work for her

just wondering what risks is there on the pill? (i mean risk of getting pregnant not side effects)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nothing is ever 100%

I have heard of people getting their tubes tied and children were still born into the matrix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

IUD's (the coil) are only recommended for women who've already had a child.

because of a recurring headache

That's a form of contraception in itself isn't it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

most IUD's are for those who have already had a child , simply cos it wont fit other wise.

Most IUD's physically induce a period,
    but there is a new one that is a times hormoane release system that only uses 1/5 the chemical that is in the pill.

And it is good for 5 years.

Having a period and loosing 1 to 2 pints or blood over 4 to 7 days isnt that healthly.

It used to be that women did not start
    periods until they were 16 and then finished by the age of 26/28. But with better diet and general health the average age for a gilrs 1st mense is down to 9 to 11 years. and mensopause is now pushed out to late 40s and this is with out HRT.

Women didnt alwasy have periods 13 times a year either again tis was diet plus most women had several pregnacies so a " modren " woman
    has a lot more periods then those of even 30 years ago.

There is a lot of research on this at the moment, as they are seeing trends of woman in thier mid 20s becoming very anmeic .

Funny how guys say that a periods are a perfectly natural thing lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by smiles
    Theres a new form of the pill out where you get an injection into your side and it last for 3 months, and the side effects (so i'm told) are relatively little
    << Fio >>

There are some MASSIVE side effects with Dep Provera shots, just search on it on google! I know someone who got massive depression from taking it, migraines, acne, anxiety attacks, PCOS, insomnia, excessive bleeding (and I don't just mean during your period) you can even become sterile from using it. It can also take at least a year for these side effects to completely go once you stop getting shots, and there's no way of reversing the chemicals effects once it's injected, it's with you for three months.

Have a look at this page: http://mwd.dawzz.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=97bcb04233708686d5730136b3c845cf
    There are loads of lawsuits filed against the makers of this drug, I myself certainly wouldn't go near it. The only upside I can see is that you don't have to remember to take a pill ever day.

BTW, unreg, check out the following page for how well the various forms of contraception work: http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/which.html#list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I would agree with etho_ stay well away from the Dep Provera injection.

I myself was on it and managed to put on a stone in weight due to it. My periods stopped towards the end which didnt bother me but ther was a mnth or two that i got a continuous period!!! My friend who was also on it had similar and worse side effects.

Im currently on the yasmin pill which is a very low dosage pill and I would recommend it to anyone. No weight gain (weight lose even), no side effects cept for it can increase breast size ;) and its a bit pricey in comparison to alot of other pills. Iv heard similar stories from other grls on the yasmin pill.

most docs are pretty successed with regard to all the different options, so ask em.

my two cense.

Advertisement