Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major RAID problems.

• 30-05-2002 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

Basically i'm trying to setup a RAID 0 array and having no luck after spending over 20hours at it now.

I'm using a soyo dragon plus mobo with onboard raid.

Basically i set it up as master and slave on a single raid channel and it setup grand after some fiddling.
    Went to install XP and took ages cause i didnt have SMARTDRV installed.
    Sorted that and it went and copyied the install files to the h/d.

Dos picks up the 2x 40Gb h/d as a 40Gb. is this normal??

So it copyies the stuff and starts up and i let it run and bam BSOD.

So i tried hitting f6 for raid/scsi software but seen as i don't have a floppy drive it says it can't install anything and procedes to install normally.

BSOD again.

So im fumming at this stage as i hafta use a P4 laptop to get on the net and it wont accept my isdn modem for some reason so im on 56k :mad:

Anyone have an suggestions?

I need it setup fairly soon cause its pi**ing me off big time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Head on over to www.viahardware.com and I'm sure you'll find some answers in their forums or on via arena's.

I did warn you about people's problems with raid setups on that board though :o (sorry for the I told you so but you did dismiss my comments about it saying "nah this is a great board")

Hope you get yourself sorted soon, I don't believe it's normal for the 2x40Gbs to be detected as 1 40Gb either :confused:

From what I've been reading in the viahardware forums in the general hardware/tech support forum people have had real trouble fiddling with these boards trying to get them stable, specifically on the ram timings and with raid setups.

I hope you get yourself sorted soon. Gl :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...If you've set up mirroring (RAID 1) then 2x40GB drives will show up as a single 40GB volume, won't it?

If you used striping (RAID 0), it should show up as a single 80GB partition.

Or so I thought... I'm assuming you've already built the RAID array and are trying to use it?
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I think i'll go back to standard ide.

I had it set to RAID0 stripe and it picks up as 80Gb in the raid bios but dos says 40Gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

fdisk the drive with a dos boot disk before you install XP
    don't format it tho, let XP do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Putting both drives on the same channel is a wasted effort. Since IDE can only let one drive communicate at one time you lose the advantage of using Striping in the first place.
    As for the capacity I believe FDISK has problems with partitions over 64Gb. Try making your first partition say ~10gb and then leave the rest for partitioning inside XP when you're done.
    Also you need that driver. Trying to install without it is pointless, XP doesn't understand when you put your hands up, shake your head and tell the screen you havent got it...but you continue anyway :p. You should be able to get it off the web I imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement