Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanning Salons

Options
  • 30-05-2002 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a typical fair skinned Irish person who spends holidays in the sun covered in sun block. I do my best not to burn and slowly tan but inevitably I get burnt.

A friend said that she used to be that way but started using a sun bed. She claims to have built up a natural tanned base and now tans more easily and gets burnt a less.

My question is, has anyone tried the stand up tanning in chartbusters???
    I pick them cos there is one near me and they are the newest technology so I presume are safer than older beds.

I want to prepare for my week in Portugal, enjoy the sun and don't want to blind people with my whiteness.

Thanks for your input! :)

Cheers,
    P

PS
    Can anyone explain the connection between Video Libraries and Tanning Salons ??? I don't get it

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

actually the stand up tanning has been around for ages, its just new to this area. If you go everyday without slacking and stick to it you may be able to build a base, but there are just some people who dont because of the pigmentation in thier skin, you just were not meant to be another color. :)
    sorry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

We were just talking about this in work yesterday. I am your real Celt/Viking, fair hair fair skin, the worst possible combination to have a nice tan - I do not go into the sun a lot as I know what it is going to do to me - but I do not avoid it either. If you want to know the long term result it is that you skin lasts longer and is softer if you stay out of the real sun - when we are young we do not see this we just think of getting tanned and look good - but after a certain age (if skin cancer does not hit) there is a big difference between the people that sun tan every year and those that take care. Be serious, a tan does not last long - but wrinkled skin does.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Is being tanned still important these days??
    sit under an umbrella and drink your sangria from there, that's what I'll be doing this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Being pale and white is fashionable, t'is the death look ;)

I'd rather be pale and white and lovely with soft skin than tanned and cheap looking anyway. Plus I'm healthier (yay no skin cancer!). I really don't like the tanned look. It's too shiney and cheap jewlery-looking for me.

Just my .02
    If you *have* to tan, go for a proper one instead of a stand-up one. I can't see those being up to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

a mate of mine went into one of those places in chartbusters on a dare from his sister, he said it was unbearable, the floor was red hot and he couldnt breath, he was about to pass out a couple of times, he said he has done sunbeds before but the special ones in charbusters were mad

bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Case

I heard the same thing and considering they will only let you do 4 minutes the first time it must be sh*t hot. The regular sunbeds let you do 10-15mins. Anyway my advice is fake it.

If you want a colour but no harmful effects. There are millions out there and loads of them are waterproof.Even if you don't want to wear it during the day put on a bit of fakers at night when your heading out . There is a new Piz Bruin spray that looks really good and I wouldn't mind loookin like yer one in the add!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Depends really what you want from the Sunbeds...

I know a few people who swear by the sun beds and go on them all year around to "top up" the oul sun tan, but it is a risk due to the fact that they use pure UV light which is what burns your skin and give you a tan, but its the Infra Red light that gives sun its heat, hence why on some sunbeds you dont actually get any heat from them apart from that of the bulbs heating up.
    But I dont know about these standup places in Chartbusters, never been in them.

You are fair skinned like myself and a session or two shouldnt be too bad just to take the initial pale look off you and should allow you a base to work on, but dont over do it as there have been cases in Ireland and abroad of people developing skin cancer from sunbeds and over exposure to them.

I myself have had to use them once or twice due to the fact that I actually get sun burned in Ireland on hot days.. but thats just they type of skin I have, so factor 50 is the call of the day when I go abroad...

Good luck with whatever you devide

Tox

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Case
    There is a new Piz Bruin spray that looks really good and I wouldn't mind loookin like yer one in the add!

Yeah she's a bit of a cutie alrighty... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I have very fair skin and although i sometimes get some colour, i burn very easily even through very high sun block and have had some incredibly painful experiences even when i thought i was being careful. I'm going to Crete in September and was warned that i'd burn badly if i didn't stay out of the sun and as easy as that would be, i don't plan to spend half my holiday sitting in the shadows and reapplying sun screen everytime i go for a swim.

A friend of mine suggested buliding up a base tan slowly, for my own safety rather than for the aesthetic value. There isn't even a very visible difference at all yet but I'd rather have some sort of controlled exposure before I go away.
    I used the stand up beds in chartbusters and I don't know if it depends on the branch but the ones I used were grand, staff were really helpful because obviously i'm quite wary about anything to do with tanning and its cheap. Just make sure that you stick to the minimum of 3 minutes for a good while especially if you're very fair and you should be fine.
    Obviously they're risks attached but in my case it's the lesser of two evils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement