Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - Problem with Microsoft Word

• 24-07-2001 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

had the same problem, run the repair wizard from office 2000. thats if its the version your using smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

amp - thanks. Renaming the 'normal' seems to have done the trick.

Now of course I have no excuse for not writing up those proposals I've been putting off.

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:
    Firstly I'd check your PC for virii then do the following:

Search for normal.dot and rename it.

Try running word in it's safe mode which involves making a shortcut to winword.exe and putting -a after the it eg:

"c:\program files\microsoft office\winword.exe -a"

Boot your PC into Windows safe mode and see if Word runs there.

If that all doesn't work, uninstall office, delete the microsoft office folder and reinstall. Also check out search.support.microsoft.com and do a search on your symtoms.

</font>

or just delete it smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Loser

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ok - here's the deal. My computer was working fine on Sunday night. I was writing up a few articles and it all went smoothly. Then on Monday morning I tried to open Word and the whole thing crashed. I started getting warning messages saying that the system resources were dangerously low and I had to ctrl-alt-del. When I rebooted the whole thing happened again so I thought my computer was fupped.

But I checked and I wasn't low on resources and there's a good 2 GB free on the C drive. I started using other programs (Photoshop, ImageReady, Flash etc.) and they didn't have any trouble. But if I try to open Word the whole thing goes down.

Has anyone ever come across this before? Anting I can do to fix it or will I just have to reinstall word - I can't find my disks so that's a bit annoying.

Oh yeah - I haven't installed any new software on the computer recently or anything like that.

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Firstly I'd check your PC for virii then do the following:

Search for normal.dot and rename it.

Try running word in it's safe mode which involves making a shortcut to winword.exe and putting -a after the it eg:

"c:\program files\microsoft office\winword.exe -a"

Boot your PC into Windows safe mode and see if Word runs there.

If that all doesn't work, uninstall office, delete the microsoft office folder and reinstall. Also check out search.support.microsoft.com and do a search on your symtoms.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Advertisement
Advertisement