Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Card Installation problem

• 31-05-2002 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

I've just installed a network card on a PC. Trouble is, when I put in the card in the PCI slot and booted the system, the plug and play OS picked up the hardware OK, but I wasn't sure if I managed to get all the drivers installed for the device. It prompted me for my Novell DOS disk and for my Win 98se CD-ROM. (both of which I didn't have to hand).

Trouble is, when I boot my system the boot message says that LSL failed and ODI/NDIS Mapper initialization failed. Then it says 'press a key to continue'.

I have a vague idea of what this means. Either I haven't installed the card (physically) correctly - that is I put the card in the slot but I didn't connect any jumpers etc, or else I haven't installed the correct drivers for my network card.
    The network card shows in the device manager but when I check the properties of the device it tells me
    The NDIS.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2.)

To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver.

Of course, when I try to update the driver Windows tells me that I already have the best driver. Reinstalling it doesn't make a difference. It seems to me that I haven't got the drivers necessary to load NDIS (Network Detection Intrusion System) which I guess is an important part in ensuring security over a network and therefore a file necessary to get the card to work.

Does anyone have any insights into this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I believe NDIS in this situation is "network driver interface specification". ( Not that this helps you or anything )

Zab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

uninstall the card using software, and uninstall any protocols in the network control panel. Reboot and it should pick up the card and it will reinstall it. When it asks for the windows cd, don't point it at c:\windows\system or anything. Make sure it's getting the files off the cd.

I think the problem is not the drivers as such ( though they maybe causing trouble as well, but the protocols themselves. )

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

As Verb says , it def. seems to be a protocol error
    when card is installed

Right click network neighdourhood and add the following

Client for M$ win
    Ur card
    Tcpip (which you should configure with ur net
    address + subnet mask)
    File and print sharing

These are the basics. Dial up adapter i usually delete as I never
    seem to find a use for it.

This is very basic stuff although if ur new to nic's it might help
    you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Thanks for the replies. Before I read them, I tried disabling the ODI driver that Windows had found for my network card. When I rebooted, it seemed to have found the right driver for my card, because it came up in the device manager (without any search for drivers)

Now, of course the driver appears to be working alright, but I can't seem to share files over the network. It's a very simple arrangement, two PC's linked together by a CAT5 crossover cable (I'm pretty sure the cable is ok). The second PC is fine (as it's worked on other networks) - the OS is Win 2k.

I've done the obvious stuff like making sure the workgroup names match, and allowing file sharing over a LAN. I've made sure that I've set up some shared folders. The first PC can view the name of the second, but cannot view or transfer any files that are contained therein. *shrug*. I'll look a little more in depth into the matter later. Thanks for the responses again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Permissions problem ?

Make sure you log onto the network using a username/password that exist on the win2k machine.

Gav

• Advertisement
Advertisement