Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connect laptop to the net via mobile

• 31-05-2002 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right where can i find the software to do this ??? or is there somthn simple that i am missing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

do you want to connect through infared or cable, what sort of phone do you have, did the phone come with software? have you activated the infared on your laptop through the bios setup... if you can give me answer to these I'm sure we can get this setup for you as I've toiled over many a laptop on those long dark nights trying to get them to talk to each orther

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Depends on your phone.

The phone is going to need to have a modem in it. Any wap capable phone will have a modem in it. In that case you will ( as above ) need either a cable or ir on the phone.

You can dialup to any isp's pop at all. Digifone support up to14,400 I belive on their network and Vodafone will support HSCSD, up to 38.4.

for the HSCSD you will need a nokia 6210/cardphone. ( probably the 6310 has hscsd as well )

you won't need any software, apart from drivers for the phone.. maybe.

Search the wireless forum. this question has been asked there before. Did you look there at all ?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

infared

so far ive got the laptop to notice that the phone is there and that it can communicate to it . what else do i need tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

After the painstaking effort of searching the wireless forum for 'laptop' and pressing one one lick this appeared.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44141&highlight=laptop

god. that was painful.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by elexes
    infared

so far ive got the laptop to notice that the phone is there and that it can communicate to it . what else do i need tho

Funny you mentioned this, I tried it last week and got it to work beautifully! This is useful if you have an e-merge account, though, not sure about O2/Esat.

Step 1: Get the phone and Laptop talking via infrared. Done.

Step 2: For my Ericsson R380 I had to load the modem drivers from the CD that came with it onto the laptop. You will most likely get them on your phone's web site. The laptop will now have a new modem listed (usually as infra red modem)

Step 3: Now, here's the fun part. I use Vodafone, so I have an e-merge account. Details at www.e-merge.ie. In there, there is a section on e-mail and organise, in there, PDA information. It gives the dial up number (087-6202222) and logon details (yourname@e-merge.ie, with your_password)

Step 4: Set up a dial up networking connection as you normally would (i.e. Start->Settings->Dial up networking->New connection). For the modem, select your infra red modem, the number to dial is as above, as are the logon and password details.

Step 6: Conenct the modem and laptop via infra-red and fire up the dial up network connection. You should have a pure digital connection as you are using the 087 network.

It is not ideal, but it worked fine for me.

TD

• Advertisement
Advertisement