Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping the start ups!!

• 31-05-2002 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Remember in win98 you could run msconfig and go into start up and stop all that junk from starting up when windows boots, Well does anyone know how to do that in Win2000?

Thanks

Bomb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Care to elaborate on "all that junk"?

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I use a program called Startup Control Panel 2.7

88k, nice and small.

And I can send it to you if you want

(it doesn't do anything that can't be done in the Start menu and the registry but I'm lazy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

You know the kind of stuff, realplayer. printer stuff, I can stop some stuff through the start folder but some stuff doesnt show up in it.

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

As I understand it, there are three ways to get a program to load on startup:

1) Place it in the Startup group (easy to fix)
    2) Place a "LOAD=" (or is it "RUN="? I can never remember) clause in WIN.INI (old fashioned approach, but you'd be surprised which programs use it)
    3) Place a key in the registry (I think the keys are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Run and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Run)

However, it seems that this Startup Control Panel sceptre mentioned does most of this in a nice user-friendly way (definitely the Startup Group and the Registry side of things) - maybe you should give it a go?

Link: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If you're used to playing with the registry, check

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    and
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

Don't mess with these unless you have a good idea what you're doing - you can render your windows installation useless by messing around blindly in the registry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

An easier way to do this is to use MSCONFIG from WinXP, does exactly what i says on the tin.

Either get it from a friends machine or get it here

http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

MSConfig for Windows 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Thanks for that link Barry - It's like meeting a long lost friend after all these years :D

No bother, MsConfig is a seriously great program. I spent ages looking for it on Win2k, got fed up so took it from a pals 2k machine.

Much easier then the reg hacks mentioned earlier. You can place it in the root directory so you can call it from the RUN dialog box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hehe bingo pcirl, the first time I started using win2k and installing apps and getting startup programs in my tray I said "where the hell is msconfig" then guy sitting beside me passed me a cd with a load of junk on it but it had msconfig and might I add it made my day :)

Such is my obsession for fúcking about with my machine, I never get beyond 2 months without a reinstall, so junk doesn`t mount up that easily.

My current config has been grand for over 50 days though but that will change when change some RAID settings later 2nite:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

You can also use Startup Organizer which lets you select the programs you want to load at start-up. It also scans the registry for potential Trojan horses etc.

Advertisement