Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Notch Wine....

• 31-05-2002 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

I've just found a shop here in Bern which stocks both my favourite red and favourite white wines, as well as a frightening amount of other good stuff.

Now, without going in to pretension about years, or paying exorbitant rates for vintage bottles, I was wondering what (if any) wines would people rank as their no.1 choice, and roughly what cost are they?

For me, it is :

White - Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc
    Red - Chateau Musar

Prices vary a lot, but from what I recall, the CBSB would cost about €40 and the Musar about €25 in Ireland. Expensive, but damn damn fine.

Any other suggestions?

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm a real fan of the Jacobs Creek Aussie wines; they used to be really cheap a few years back and have since become a lot more expensive, but they're worth it.

In general though I'm open to suggestion on wines, I'm no expert and hence I tend to drink whatever someone else recommends. I just bear in mind which ones are awful so I can avoid them in future (anything Bulgarian, for a start).

Oh, and it's kinda wine - god, I love Laurent Perrier champagne :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

bonkey,

If you ever come across it, Oyster Bay, another NZ SB but costs about half the price of Cloudy Bay and tastes much the same. Used to be able to get it in some of the wine warehouses in the UK, but have never managed to find it in Ireland(pestered Oddbins for ages but they still never got it).

If you fancy a light red that you can drink in the summer have a go at Tarrango from Brown Brothers(Australia). Should be able to get it in Tesco's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Havent tried the Oyster Bay - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Clifford Bay (same part of world) is also very comparable at about 1/2 the price of Cloudy Bay. Again Oddbins.

As for the Tarrango - boy do I know it well. Given that I'm not sold on Rose in general, this is a far better solution for me - a light red :)

Oh - and Oddbins suggestions, while welcome, are not terribly useful, given that I live in Switzerland these days :)

Oh - another wine worth mentioning is white rioja in general. Superbly good, and highly underrated...which means that its usually very cheap. Spanish wine in Ireland, as a rule, is way underpriced - almost to the point of costing about the same as Spanish wine does on the continent (outside Spain of course).

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm don't know much about the whole thing but I'm a big fan of red Rioja. Nicest one I've had was Coto de Imaz aboout €20-€25 I think.

The cheaper Faustinos and Wolf Blasses are great as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ariston Bay is good NZ sauv blanc.

Santa Rita do a good range of chilean whites and reds all around the €9-10 mark.

Berry's Brothers in Harry St do the best Sauv Blanc I've ever tasted. Can't remember what it's called - just on the left side as you walk in about €14 - they might have it labelled under their own name actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Xanadu , i think it was a Merlot. Not quite sure where from.
    ****ing delicious. Bought it in O'Briens Fine Wines in Stillorgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

My favourite is Wolfblass Presidents Selection caberbet sauv.

About €15.00 in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Red: beaujolous villages (dont ask bout the ****in spellin)

white: a medium white, i'm not picky,

Advertisement