Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siemens S45

• 31-05-2002 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Just got a Siemens S45 last week. Best fone I've ever had by a long shot (my last fone was an 8210). Little bit disappointed that I couldn't use the GPRS to connect my laptop to the net at a faster speed than 14.4 bps. Vodafone tell me this should be available last week in June/first week in July. Anyhow I've been using the WAP over GPRS - reasonably good. Question is though, I don't know how WAP over GPRS is charged. I know it's by the amt of info you send/receive, but does anyone know how much per megabyte??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by BigCon
    Question is though, I don't know how WAP over GPRS is charged. I know it's by the amt of info you send/receive, but does anyone know how much per megabyte??
    Neither do the operators :D

From what I can make out, Vodafone has been offering free GPRS for the last few months (after they realized that O2 was so much cheaper than them), while O2 are technically charging, but (in one or two cases I've heard of) not actually billing...

You might be interested in taking take a look at this thread on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Here's the current (May 2002) situation by operator:

Vodafone:
    GPRS not fully launched. Consumers have WAP access only. Corporate Customers have WAP and ISP (full internet)access.

No Consumer GPRS Pricing Plans announced. Full GPRS launch delayed 3 times first April, then June now July. Began offering WAP GPRS for free to Consumers at the start of February (due to end in July).

Only two basic Corporate GPRS Pricing Plans announced (expect them to be changed / modified at launch). Announced full GPRS (WAP and ISP) for Corporate customers on January 8.

Status: Still waiting on a comprehensive price structure and the full launch of consumer post-paid GPRS, latest launch date is the beginning of July.

Been using WAP GPRS as a consumer since Feb and have had no charges as yet. Using ISP GPRS occasionally in work as a corporate customer and have been billed for the GPRS ISP service, WAP access is not charged for yet (as with consumer WAP GPRS).

O2 (Digifone):

GPRS launched since January 21. Multiple Price plans in place. Full WAP and ISP (full internet) access (two ISP access points "open" and "request only").

Been using WAP and ISP GPRS as a consumer since March, initially got a promotional package, thought for a month but it's lasted two so far... :)

The full costing and package options are available here:
    http://www1.o2.ie/products_services/mobile_internet/gprs/price_plans

HTH,
    Brian

Advertisement