Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics! Pass level..

Options
  • 31-05-2002 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

After not bothering to learn physics, ive decided to bite my toung and drop to pass (i hate the tearm 'drop')..

I know most of the experiments on the higher level papers...
    but i only have about 3 pass level past papers and there is no real pattern...

what experiments should one study for the pass level?

The main ones that are on 90% of all the papers
    ie an exp. to get the latent heat of ice is on pass and hon - so ill be doing that...

What are the pass experiments?

reD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'm not so sure that dropping down to ordinary level is such a good idea. From what i can see the concepts are exactly the same and you will still have to do a lot of work to get a decent grade. If you can do all the maths questions and learn all the definitions in honours you have 40-50% of the paper, just make a stab at the rest and you got a C. I'm a repeat though so i'll shut up now :P

since this is a new course and we only have the sample paper as a guide it is impossible to predict what experiments are going to come up. However the experiments can be divided up into five distinct sections on the pass paper

Mechanics:
    1. Measurement of velocity/acceleration
    2. show a is proportional to F
    3. Verification of conservation of momentum
    4. Measurement of g
    5. Boyles Law
    6. Equilibrium

Heat:
    1. Calibration of a mercury thermometer
    2. SHC of water or a metal
    3. SLH of fusion of ice
    4. SLH of vapourisation of water

Sound
    1. Measure speed of sound in air
    2. Stretched string exp

Light
    1. MEasurement of focal length on a concave mirror
    2. Measurement of refractive index of a solid or liquid
    3. Measurement of focal length of converging lens
    4. Measurement of wavelength of monochromatic light
    5. Snells law

Electricity
    1. Verify Joules law
    2. Measure resistivity in wire
    3. Variation of resistance in metallic conductor with temp
    4. Variation of resistamce of a thermistor with temp

As far as i know they are the only experiments on the pass course. It is almost certain that one experiment will be picked from each group(one group will be left over though). Considering you only have 2 weeks to go and if you are completly screwed then you can afford to leave one group out, at worse you will have no choice on the day. I wouldn't recommend you leaving a whole group out but if you are desperate you can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

on the pass course i dont think you'll be required to know the formulas for the maths type questions. You just have to be able to use them. so for the maths questions they should give you the formula thats needed for the question......easy eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Paulj, thats not true m8 :(

We are required to know the formulas for distance, speed and time n **** like that..Which is the reason that im dropping :p

Its just a lil easier for me imo, but its still a challenge :(

reD.

Advertisement