Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I didn't think Bluetooth had the bandwidth for this sort of thing - isn't the maximum ~700 kbps?

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Bluetooth wireless technology has raw data rate of up to 1Mbps

Yeah, a whole Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

could we replace all our out going wires with this?
    (bar power),
    video, sound, modem/nic, mouse/keyboard, printer/scanner...etc

i hate have wires about the place, it looks untidy

just want to know the possiblities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Gadget is right with his 720kb data rate for Bluetooth. Theoretically, BT gives 1Mb, but that's just the raw transfer rate. You have to take into account the packetising overheads such as headers and error correction bits etc.

Thing is, this product doesn't set 'realtime' video as a goal, so the information could easily be transferred over the BT link, but not at very high speeds.

Watch out for the next generation Bluetooth spec. (imaginatively called Bluetooth 2.0). This will give 2Mbps (raw speed), and should be starting to appear in a year or two!

That said, Bluetooth 1.1 (the current version) will allow you to print, transfer files, transfer images from a suitably enabled digital camera, etc. The trick is, to find devices that are Bluetooth enabled. The industry forecasters seem to think that 2002 is the year when Bluetooth will make it into the mainstream, and most new product releases seem to agree with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...I mean, by all reports, Bluetooth is pretty thirsty; couple that with the power needs of a hard disk (which are huge, realistically, when you're running off a battery - there's no other reason for a Bluetooth HD that I can can see, so I presume that's the game) it suggests something you'll be frequently cursing because it's gone dead, or weighs a couple of tons... or am I just being cynical?

Gadget
    P.S.> SearrarD, have you ever seen RFC 3251? You might find it interesting ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement