Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isn't it ironic...

Options
  • 31-05-2002 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

how as I browse this forum there's an eircom add animating away in the top righthand corner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭vAWOL

I was in fact very surprised to see the ad yesterday given the general views by boards ppl 2wards eircom....

why can't eircom ever bother themselves to make an original but of ad instead they get some news footage and throw in a mouse..still amkes more sense than the o2 bubble idea..new stream of communication pssh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by vAWOL
    why can't eircom ever bother themselves to make an original but of ad instead they get some news footage and throw in a mouse..
    And at the rate they're fleecing us, you'd think they could afford a real mouse by now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its already been discussed here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.phps=&threadid=53289

I think its funny :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Its like rain on your wedding day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

yellum, i will take it from there...

*clears throat...*

Its like a free riiiiiide that you just did'nt take...

who will continue?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yellum
    A Traffic Jam When You're Already Late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Its like a free riiiiiide that you just did'nt take...

'cept the admins did take it :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by DeVore
    Its already been discussed here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.phps=&threadid=53289

I think its funny :)

DeV.

that link isn't working.

<edit> actually just change phps to php?s in it and its fine, cheers for the link, i had figured someone else would have to have posted abotu this anyway :) </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Re: Eircom Ad

The third thing that comes up when the mouse is flying is "super fast emails" what in the hell are super fast emails. Normal emails but with go faster stripes.

Also "online gaming" and "streaming audio" hardly a suitable advertisment for a company that is focusing on "BUSINESS`ES(sp?)"

The eircom advertising box of mishaps at it`s best.

Sure is funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

Originally posted by pcirl.com

The third thing that comes up when the mouse is flying is "super fast emails" what in the hell are super fast emails. Normal emails but with go faster stripes.

anyone else get the feeling that the advertising department of eircom have never used the internet before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maybe its unbeliveably good marketing and the pure fact that we are talking about it means it works.

(Bright Spark@ Eircom): I know lets try patronisation!
    (Chief Exec): shakes lucky 8 ball - Yes thats it

have we been zinged by Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Also "online gaming" and "streaming audio" hardly a suitable advertisment for a company that is focusing on "BUSINESS`ES(sp?)"

The eircom advertising box of mishaps at it`s best.

Sure is funny!

I raised exactly this point here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53289&pagenumber=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I come to boards.ie to forget about eircom for a while, now they're dominating me everywhere I turn.

Its like trying to escape oranges and going to a fruit stall

...A no-DSL sign on your internet break...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

Maybe its unbeliveably good marketing and the pure fact that we are talking about it means it works.

LMFAO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

We might be talking about it, but lets face it, we talk about the product every day anyway. Personally im amazed that they think theres any point advertising on boards.ie but im delighted they think its a good idea, as it gives a fair amount of cash to the boys at spin to keep boards (a completely free service) going.

I doubt the ad is going to change many minds about DSL, and nothing about it forces anyone to actually like eircom:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I bet they upgraded all the staff to eircom hi-speed for promising to make the banner cover up the IrelandOffLine link ;)

Originally posted by yellum

thats not ironic btw, thats just a pin in the hole :)

(if you got married in the sahara cos you wanted to avoid rain, and it rained, that would be ironic)
    A Traffic Jam When You're Already Late
    Not ironic, unless of course your a town planner on the way to a vital meeting about reducing traffic congestion. :)

Eircom advertising on a bulletin board which houses the Ireland Offline forum.

Now thats ironic:)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    thats not ironic btw, thats just a pin in the hole :)
    Like Ten Thousand Spoons When All You Need Is A Knife?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nah I think it was a cunning plan by Eircom to see who has been listening to Alanis Morrissette (sp?) and place them in a demographic all of their own. :)
    Of course the Eircom rat with the celebs footage could be proof that Eircom marketing are not that good. That kind of doctored footage is associated with Forrest Gump. Forrest Gump - Eircom management. Almost interchangable really.

Back to listening to the Sex Pistols, Stranglers and early Baroque music for me. Somehow the juxtaposition of Alanis Morrissette and Eircom is wrecking my head. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

If you dont want to see the add put "127.0.0.1 adserver.digiserve.ie" into your hosts file. found /etc/hosts in unix and in windows 95/98/ME its c:\windows\hosts and on windows 2000/XP its C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, ack xp people mite want a windows there where i have winnt. I cant remember if its windows or winnt, installed it once and then killed it a day later :P

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by longword
    Like Ten Thousand Spoons When All You Need Is A Knife?

I can't see how that's ironic. What would be ironic is if you had settled for a spoon and found a drawer later on with 10000 knives, now that's ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No that's just having a very big drawer.

and a lot of knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And a strange obsession for said cutlery :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The only ironic thing about that song is that its written by someone who has no idea what irony is. Thats fúckin' ironic.

DeV.

Advertisement