Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading: How hard is it to attach a processor chip to mother board?

• 22-07-2001 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading the ol' computer soon, and i am getting onen of those bundles from oc.co.uk ya know mother board - chip fan etc

but what i wanna know is, would i able to set it all up by myself?

I know the inards of my ***** fairly well i think, seen as how often i've gutted it to insall new hard-drives and the like.

But could putting in a new mother board and attaching the cpu be a wee bit too much? or can your average joe do it?

thats all really.

Gideon.

http://gideon555.cjb.net/ , you know you want to!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

It's not hard really, just use the basic rule of thumb... "if it fits ; then that's where it goes" biggrin.gif
    Take it slowly... read the manual, and don't force anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yup, piece o cake.
    Ground yerself (touch the case).
    Handle the cpu carefully by the corners.
    Lift the lever on the side of the cpu socket till it's fully upright.
    Place the cpu over the holes so that it drops in. It only fits one way around.
    Put the lever back down. At no time should you need to use excessive force.
    Put the fan on making sure only the blue square is touching it. Most fans have heat conductive stuff on them and that's the bit that needs to touch the blue square.
    Most new motherboards are jumperless so when you boot up it should pick up the cpu's clock multiplyer and FSB automatically.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I remember the first time i did this on first pc..my hands were shaking..was taking short breaths..but man what a buzz(figuritivly wink.gif ) when the damn thing powered up and recognised the cpu.
    Seriously though pc's are like lego, square peg goes in square hole, nothing to be afraid of, any "average joe" can do it biggrin.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

2 corners of the tbird chip have 'missing' pins, so line this up with the socket. You might find a decent sized flat head screwdriver, or maybe a thin nosed pliers useful to put the heatsink clip on, as these sometimes require a fair amount of force. Be careful not to let the screwdriver slip and damage the board however. Just take your time with it and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Also dont forget to use spacers to mount your motherboard to the case if the case doesnt come with raised ones and put the Ram, CPU, hs/fan on the motherboard before you fit it in the case because as gerry said the hs/fan can be abit tough and ive found ram can also be abit of a squeeze so its best to rest the board on abit of bubble rap on a flat surface this way you wont snap your board smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif
    ps i hope you havent got a gateway or dell case or abit of rewireing and case cutting maybe required.

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 23-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gibo

Same as the lads just said BUT..
    Make sure your motherboard can handle the new chip speed. If its a newer motherboard it should but just check the manufacturers specs!!! The chip might fit but it will only run to the maxium speed handled by the board!! Be careful.

Of All the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most! ;)
    Skribbles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

erm, thats fine, but he did say he was getting a bundle from ocuk....

Advertisement