Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAO: All DJ's out there(Important)

• 31-05-2002 6:30pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Clubbingdotcom Presents
    Smirnoff Experience ( DJ Competition)
    in association with The Star and FM104

So you think you're a DJ?
    Well its time you put your mix CD where your mouth is.

It's hard Godamn work in the clubbing industry and even harder getting in. As any budding DJ will tell you, that first break is so tough to get. Progressing from bedroom to mainroom is never easy but we're here to help. We reckon there's loads of talent in this country that never gets a chance to shine. Well now's your chance. If you're a DJ or if you know one who's good enough, send us a mix.
    Why you may ask?
    Quite simply this is an aspiring DJ's wet dream. , Smirnoff Experience, Clubbingdotcom, FM104 and The Star have come together to ensure that the winner of this competition gets a top residency, some great gigs, a holiday and massive exposure for their talent.

The Prize: Win!
    A residency at the best new club night in Ireland, Smirnoff Experience.
    You'll be warming up for some of the biggest DJ's in the world at Smirnoff Experience events in the best clubs Ireland has to offer.
    A holiday in Ibiza for you and a mate with Clubbingdotcom in August (16th to 23rd)
    While there you will get to play at the official Clubbingdotcom pre-party. This gig will be broadcast live on Al Gibbs Telstar Euphoria show on Dublin's FM104.
    You will get to compile the next Imprint CD for Clubbingdotcom and you get a full page of profile in the September issue and serious publicity in Mark Kavanagh's Club Mix Page in the Star.

How to enter: Send a mix, minimum 30 mins of what you do best. All styles and genres accepted but bear in mind the style and calibre of the Smirnoff Experience DJ's. In the last 6 months guests have included Roger Sanchez, Norman Jay, Darren Emerson and Lottie with live sets from Green Velvet, Way out West and Orbital. Could you warm up for and play alongside any of these? If so, we want your mix. MD or CD only.
    Put your name and mobile number on the disc. This is very important, we're expecting a small mountain of entries so please make things easy for us.
    Send to: Smirnoff Experience DJ Competition,
    Clubbingdotcom,
    19 Eglinton Street,
    Galway.
    Make a copy because discs will not be returned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

"All styles and genres accepted but bear in mind the style and calibre of the Smirnoff Experience DJ's"

in other words if you dont play soulless hmv toytown hard house or knacker trance you can bugger off and prostitute yourself to another liquor company SMIRNOFF DO NOT WANT YOU.

i hate it when big alcohol companies cynically try and cash in on something they dont give two sh*ts about just to cah in on something they have no right to be. its like the smirnoff dance awards - everybody knows they dot mean sh*t are just an excuse to sell sh*t smirnoff products to impressionable consumers. and dont even TRY and say "but some wee kid is going to becme a super star dj oout of this contest" bollocks, if thats true then the people who win the smirnoff awards year after year would get pushed by smrnoff to tour around the country instead of just turning up to rim the poncy marketing c*nt and have his picture taken.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Eh, correct me if i am wrong.. but those DJ's are not hardhouse Dj's...
    Its more along the lines of tech-trance they're looking for..
    you don't want to be playing better tunes than the actual DJ's themselfs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 budest

Yes! Yes! Yes! I am all for the up and coming having a chance, but what kind of message are sending out to them when you suggest warming upto the likes Rodger Sanchez and Lottie with, might I add another new style of music to me, tech-trance?

Do me a favour.......! TECH-TRANCE??????:confused:
    When was this formed? And how can you justify warming up for Sanchez playing !!!!TECH!!!! Trance?

I am hoping that you reply with a real upset here and tell me that Tech Trance is kind-of-like house only not quite.:D

Might I suggest that you be looking for a "HOUSE" dj to warm up for these types? I don't claim to be a know-it-all though I do hasten to add that if I went to hear Lottie, as I have done, and I heard trance anywhere in the vacinity I would have thrown up the rope!:D :D:D

Lottie plays a more tribally house sound which indicates that she would start off housey and progress into a more dub style of funky beats. Now you say that "you don't want the warm up dj to be playing better tunes than the actual DJ's themselfs" which might I also point out is worded wrong! You should have said "We are not looking for a dj to play the same tunes as the guest or to start off at a tempo that they would be playing to at the peak off their set ". This, to me, makes a lot more sense.:)
    So if Lottie is playing, I suggest that, you should be looking for a dj that is capable of playing a more funky vocal set that would wind the crowd up GRADUALLY for Lotties' first tune, which the warm up dj should be aware of before they start, or on the other hand, if the warm up dj is professional enough they will dictate the first record of their guest.

I still cannot see the use of trance anywhere here with the dj in question playing. That is why I need more clarification on Tech Trance. I have been around the dance scene now for 7 years and this is new to me.

I have found that the style of the main attraction is to be the warm up dj's key to having a successful night. IE: Lottie=Tibal/House therefore, before her =house, after her =Tribal!

On a lighter note, I do agree with what you are doing but might I suggest that although you say that sets from all genres are welcome that in fact they are not as you then go on and highlight that your preference is going to be for ones that consist of this "NEW" style. That ,I feel is unfair and you will no doubt be judging the recordings with an automatic bias view.

I would appreciate some verification on this.

Good LUCK!!!!!!;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'm only up, I feel sick. and I'm not going on a mega quoting and quote all you said..
    But I tell you what, you make a mix of what you play, and you think it might be the type of music that would suit that scene.
    Where have you been if you don't know what tech trance is?
    some Dj's that play some tech-trance are
    Marco V, Scott Project, Hennes & Cold, Dj Saul, Scott Bond

:eek: Scott Project :eek: Scott Bond :eek: Tech Trance??????

Suppose you send the the term "Tech" on holiday here and substitute the now missing term with "Cheesey". Then you would have my vote on the correctfulness issue.:p

No bud, All joking aside I have never heard the term used before. I suppose it's like this "New" style of house that has entered the scene over the last year or so"Tech House". It's just people trying to devise a new approach to selling tunes and trying to reinvent a scene that is still in the process of being invented.
    These styles and tags disappear as quick as they were invented and leave no trace of their excistence.
    But I will respect your believe on the issue.

Now on the point that you make as regards receiving a mix from myself.
    Not a problem! I can play various styles. I am not sure, however, that the styles that I do play would be of interest to you.
    I play everything House, from Latin, Uplifting, Progressive, Funky and last , but by no means least Tribal House!
    If you can tell me that you could possibly use sets of these genres then I would be only too pleased to send you a few.

Over the years I have developed my own style, though to give you an idea, if you can imagine Tenaglia with a piece of Jon Carter mixed with a souffle of Rampling that would be the easiest way to descibe what I do.

If you think that it could benefit you and your ideas some, then I will without further ado forward you a few MDs.

;)

• Advertisement

I think tech-trance is popular among pirate stations.. its not really a genre of music, its more of the style they plays ie. techno & trance :)

mark kavanagh, fm104 so al gibbs and smirnoff.
    there'll be a few djs from cdc listening to cds here in the office, prob same guys who review for mag, then narrowed down to 4 or 5. a final night at a pre party for a smirnoff night in dublin with mark, al, cdc and possibly the dj from the smirnoff night deciding whos best/ most suitable for the residency.
    remember its not all about ability. tune selection, suitability for a residency with smirnoff, mixing ability, technique, presence. everything will be taken into account.
    it might not be a perfect way of running a competition, but we are looking for a certain thing here, a resident for smirnoff experience.

"what club is the residency in?"

the clue is in the name, Its a residency at smirnoff Experience, a touring night. goes to top clubs all around the country, Red Box, Temple, south, Lush, GPO etc...

as for style of tunes, play what you play. If you think you fit in in any of these venues, then if you win I'm sure they will put you in the most suitable venues, with the most suitable guests.

as for Warm ups... how difficult is it really people. I know ye are all fairly young but think about it. You'll be warming the crowd up for big names. Play similar style to the guest but not harder than him/ her. your job is the first few hours of the night where people are coming in, getting a drink, seat and puting in their coat, meeting friends etc... Get a few of them out on the floor, make their first few hours pleasurable but remember they are there to see the star and have a good time. Dont try show up the superstar, thats not how it works.

Please make sure you put your name & mobile number on the disks, also, disks may and most likely, will not be returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭DeeJ

Originally posted by budest

Over the years I have developed my own style, though to give you an idea, if you can imagine Tenaglia with a piece of Jon Carter mixed with a souffle of Rampling that would be the easiest way to descibe what I do.

a 'souffle'? hahahah haahahahaha ah nerd:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Derek_S

in all honesty i think there looking for dj's to do warm up progressive house and house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭DeeJ

you go girl

what do you play dee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

erm well spotted to the fella who reckons they want them to play hard house! hahaha! not

mate smirnoff experience nights have features sander klienenberg, james zabiela, john digweed and roger sanchez

how exactly are they hard house?

tech trance isnt the likes of scott project... thats european hard house

tech trance would be the stuff mario piu plays, and that picotto played circa 99/2000. havent heard scott bond in abotu 12 months, but last time i saw him it was trance, not tech trance. i hate that term anyway, coz its usually just a description for cheezy crap

u go helix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

give em hell tiger
    uz women have rights too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the real ego

ye woooooo, women in tights, purple monkey dishwasher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i always thought of scot project as hard trance... another bull**** term to ad to the fracas

i always thought of him as forced breakdown rubbish, in the european hard house mould

i've got a live set of his from back in march, it all seems pretty far removed from hh

youre only allowing yourself to think of uk hard house (ie the hoovers and horns stuff)

european hard house is quite different

give me some credit.
    i love hard house, and i realise that there are different sounding sub genres to it.
    when i hear the term 'european hard house' it allways makes me think of the stuff that was around years ago (mac zimms stuff for example). or more recent stuff like e-craig (muck).
    i guess i can see your point, but i know a couple of dj's who play 'hard trance' and their tunes are are all pretty similar to scot projects.

• Advertisement

all hard trance is is hard house, with forced breakdowns

ehhhhh, whatever.............
    i was just giving my half baked opinion
    slight bit of contradiction in your last 2 posts:confused:

Originally posted by Helix
    youre only allowing yourself to think of uk hard house (ie the hoovers and horns stuff)

european hard house is quite different
    Originally posted by Helix
    all hard trance is is hard house, with forced breakdowns

where the contradiction?

ah sorry, kinda misread/misinterpreted the last one (and i was in a bit of a lairy mood)

lol, ah it happens

I eventually made it into the last 4. I was unsuccessful though, chose the wrong style of music! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

scott project, german hippy? my m8s kicked him off the dechs at a party the other day, weird u mention him. he sucked it hard, played cheesy trance.

saw green velvet other day in a club, doing his live ****, was horrible, funky house, with some gay fella takin **** over it. stick to the dj set i say m8.

http://mirror.to/ser - hard tekno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Darren.B

He is a better dj than you will ever be trust me I know who you are and what you do.

saw green velvet other day in a club, doing his live ****, was horrible, funky house, with some gay fella takin **** over it. stick to the dj set i say m8.
    emmmm, have you ever actually heard one of green velvets tunes?
    thats like saying, "i went to see oasis (or some other crappy band) and it was just some scouser singing, with a couple of tools playing guitars"

• Advertisement

helix scot project is hard trance

helix, listen to the man!

he even calls what he plays hard trance

Advertisement