Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup

Options
  • 31-05-2002 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

France 0 Senegal 1.
    Brilliant, just brilliant!
    Well this threads just about whatever y'all have to say about the world cup so fire away!

How are Ireland going to do? 12 votes

Bring on Argentina-we\\\'re going to win
    0% 0 votes
    Forget it-first round exit
    25% 3 votes
    Nowhere without Keano
    8% 1 vote
    Last 16-same as last time
    0% 0 votes
    I\'m doing exams, I\'ve got more to think about than football
    50% 6 votes
    Forget football-bring me Atari Jaguar!
    16% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Well, imnsho, football sucks.
    sucks melicamp the talking chicken..
    Really sucks.just ask duckgirl about the "underlying tones of homoeroticism"
    Men running round a field,getting muddy and kicking a proverbial pigs bladder just doesnt do it for me..
    pro wrestling,however..

-
    **** windows:
    www.mslinux.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Sport is simply an outlet for mans hunting instinct - and personally I like to avioid it at all costs

Although some non-competetive sports are good.
    like frisbee
    (and pro wrestling)

I only approve of mud wresting the rest of it is "just another american drama"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

If France keep on playing like they did today, they'll be well gone by the second round.

-rob

• Advertisement

Hmmm, about Soccer being crap....... I personally don't like soccer, but i think the World Cup is a great thing to bring people together (And break apart :)). I prefer more physical sports like Rugby and Pro Wrestling. I don't Pro Wrestle if people get the wrong idea!

-Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Hah, Germany 8 Saudi Arabia 0. That was just funny. Not so much for the irish team tho - the germans arent as poor as expected. I realise that Saudi Arabia arent really any team at all, but the germans can put moves together and score goals better than the irish could in a fu<king training session. And since theyve racked up such an immense goal difference already, thats bad news for us even if we draw with them (im assuming Cameroon will top the group here).

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Hehe... The world cup sucks. The whole Roy Keane thing got more coverage than Omagh, and the Good Friday Agreement. Shows what our priorities are. Which is why, when I'm older, I'm going to leave nice little pockets of chemical weapons around the country, set to detonate, and go to work for a few years in USSA. Then come back when all the stuff has been cleaned up. It'll be the worlds first justified genocide! >)

a fine point, sven.
    RTE news:
    1st item:ROY KEANE IS A SELFISH BASTARD!!!(seriously,thats what they said...)
    2nd,3rd items:yadda,yadda politicians, goats...
    4TH!!:on a lighter note, 2 nuclear armed powers are about to blow the fook out of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

I think soccer is moronic, but I agree with Elvish's point about bringing ppl together.

Furthermore, I agree Sven and G@ndalf's point about the way that more focus is set upon current events and entertainment than more pressing issues such as war and the environment. I recently recieved an email about deforestorisation and pollution. They say that not enough is being done to preserve the environment for future generations. I did a project on the Ozne for my course last year. The hole in the Ozne over Antarctica encompasses most of the land area of Antarctica. It closes up over winter, all but a proportion, which is getting bigger and larger. Same for Arctic. There's also the issues of Greenhouse Effect, Global Warming, Glacial Deminishment, Sea levels rising, etc etc blah blah blah.

So, in conclusion, I note that I have gone completely off topic, and that, furthermore, I know little or nothing about soccer and thus have little purpose for posting on this thread, aside from the embarassment and voicing my concerns about the environment, which, yes, are off topic. :rolleyes:

Happy molecules,

Mike...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i hate football
    and i hated all the coverage of roy keane being an arse
    and i hated most of all how people presumed i cared about roy keane being an arse.I DON'T CARE.and yet they kept bringing it up in conversation.URGGG

and pro-wrestling??why,hugh and rob,WHY??

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Originally posted by qwidgybo

Because they like seeing muscular, sweaty men touch each other. Duh.

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by qwidgybo

it's fantastic fun to watch

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Am I the only person who's GLAD that Senegal beat France? Not that I've got anything against the French team or nation, but I love to see those one-off shock results early in a tournament. Mind you, I still think France will qualify with Denmark!!!

I actually think that the only reason to allow pro wrestling continue is the Peter Puppy quote "Whoa! Better than pro wrestling!"

<sigh>... I miss you Jim... <sob>

Somebody told me yesterday that the World Wildlife Fund sued WWF (wrestling) and now they have to be called WWE. teehee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by imp
    Somebody told me yesterday that the World Wildlife Fund sued WWF (wrestling) and now they have to be called WWE. teehee.

nope, WW(restling)F just have to pay royalities to WWildlifeF in order to use the initials.

Good idea i think

<< Fio >>

Because they like seeing muscular, sweaty men touch each other. Duh.

Hmmmm.....Let me see....No. I like professional wrestling because it is very funny to watch and its a drama but with people hitting each other. What else do you need?!

On the note of RTE news talking about Roy Keane before India & Pakistan. RTE is struggling for money and it needs to draw the punters to the channel. It shows what the majority of people want to see, not what is correct. It's the way of life, the majority wins (Even if they are bumbling idiots e.g. Dubya Bush.).

n.b. I don't agree with RTE on showing the Roy Keane 'saga' before real news, if that's what this post might have suggested.

-Rob

Originally posted by lordsippa
    I actually think that the only reason to allow pro wrestling continue is the Peter Puppy quote "Whoa! Better than pro wrestling!"

I cant...believe...it...
    THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I PUT THAT UP!!!
    stay out of my mind and/or house sven!

People to so far told me to "GET OUT OF MY HEAD":
    Niall (that one got weird)
    Kev
    Ian
    Hugh
    ... various others... I'm tired. Shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hmmm....i don't think you've ever freaked me out.

Worried me, sure, but more for your own sake.

But never freaked out

Ireland 3
    Saudi Arabia 0

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keano,
    Breen,
    Duff!

Oh yes! We got to the last 16 without Roy Keane, a great day for Irish Football!!!!

-Rob

Oh yeah... this thread was about football wasn't it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Yesterday was great: were in the last 16! bring on spain cos
    YOULL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!
    France and Argentina are out too, yay! fewer obstacles on irelands road to world cup glory!
    France deserved to go out yesterday cos of my leaving cert french exam making me miss the first half of the ireland-saudi match!

I think we should be alright enough against spain if it ends as a draw. It'll go to penos and hopefully Shay Given will hold them off. Feckin' Raul..........b£"!$%d!!!!!

-Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Spain's defence is a bit dodgy tho and we've got Keano and Duff up there to cause them problems. I'm gonna go for 2-1 to Ireland. Raul will score first for Spain then we'll mount one of our famous fightbacks with Keano scoring early in the second half and Duff or Quinn scoring late in injury time to get us a place in the quarter finals without xtra time or penos.

Yeah, i suppose so. 2-1.....that may be a bit dodgy. We've never scored more than one goal in a world cup match except for the saudi match. And they're not a good team. We will score though i'd say. even if it does end like 5-1, we WILL score!

-Rob

Napoleon Bonaparte

General De Gaulle

Joan Of Arc

Francois Mitterand

YOUR BOYS TOOK A HELL OF A BEATING!!!!

Hans Christian Andersen

Hamlet

Peter Schmiecel

The Great Dane (breed of dog!!!)

YOUR BOYS ALSO TOOK A HELL OF A BEATING!!!!

• Advertisement

"yay national pride"
    /me uninthusiastically waves a teeny tiny Irish flag

Advertisement