Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Parallel Cable Conundrums!

• 26-07-2001 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Lo laeds smile.gif
    Can i get a cable that looks like this:

computer ---
    \
    Printer
    /
    computer ---

ie a 2 mail ended leading to a printer cable.
    any ideas where to even get one laeds? In other words to connect 2 computers to one printer, needs to be about 6 feet for each cable to smile.gif
    cheers for the help!

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 26-07-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

That kinda cable wouldnt work.
    The best way to do it is to stick the printer off of one computer, and network the 2 computers together (2xNetwork Cards & 1xCrossOver Cable = £40 max) and share the printer.
    The cheaper way (but more annoying) is to use a 2way parrallel port switch (a box you stick near your comp.) you can do a few things with it like: 2 comps. to one printer... or 1 comp. to 2 printers, and switch between.

Seriously though go for the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Problem is it has to be a cable or switch, the printer is also a fax machine that lets you send faxes direct from the PC, it installs onto a com port so it wont let you access across the network (it will let you print but not use the fax service). So we need a cable / switch that will plug into both printer ports on the PC and go direct to the FAx/Printer. Any other suggestions, ie where to get the switch and will it work? is it also manual or automatic? or is there such things? Cheers! smile.gif

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

The manual ones are cheap but the mother-of-all-auto one is nearly £100!! mad.
    Visit here:

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=567&type=5&path=14x108

[This message has been edited by llatsni (edited 26-07-2001).]

Advertisement