Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPROM Question

• 01-06-2002 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

I was sitting in the library yesterday trying to study English and was getting so bored that I had to get a computer book to wake me up!

Anyway I started reading about EPROM's (Erasable Programmable Read only Memory). The book said that in order erase an EPROM you must hold a UV light over it.

So this got me thinking,

How can case modders put UV lights in their computers? Would it not erase all their EPROM's? Are the EPROM's covered up with special Uv protection? I hope not suncream!

Also would the amout of UV light in ordinary daylight be enough to erase it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

The Old (very old ) :) eproms were UV erasable .. but the new ones are EEPROMS Electronically Erasable. UV has no effect

The little glass on EPROMs are covered with a foil sticker but if the sticker is removed them ordinary daylight will erase them but it could take hours or days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Recently I was taking apart something and I noticed one of these
    EPROM's they look cool theres a little glass window in them they look really expensive.
    Anyway...

Advertisement