Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secrets of Pro Wrestling Revealed

Options
  • 01-06-2002 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Did anybody see this last night? I saw it on sky before and I laughed my ass off watching it last night reminded me just how funny it was.

They make the whole business sound so seedy and they over use the word secret Brawling is a secret, not breaking your neck is a secret everything is a secret or a trick or a deception. They made it sound like we are all clueless to the fact that wrestling is staged and are liberating us by letting us know it’s fake.

Also the stunt granny and ripping up the kids autograph book when was the last time they’ve done that? For anybody who knows that wrestling is fake this is just priceless.

Now you know the secret

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

What was this?
    Was it like one of those doc-u-soap peices of poo?

Tell me more im interested!

Hanza
    And that is why they call me the Heretic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

It was basically bad soap meets documentary meets sensationalism meets a condescending production company.

I think it was made in 97 but was way out of date even then. I’d find it really hard to do it justice explaining over the net but I was in stitches laughing. They really tried make the viewer believe that no one knows the “secrets” of wrestling.

I did not know that wrestlers don’t actually break their necks when they are a pile driver. I always thought that the ref was innocent to the fact that wrestling is staged.

Also all the wrestlers and bookers who appear on the show are wearing really dodgy costumes I could kind of recognise a few of them.

Keep an eye on your TV guide sky show secrets of whatever revealed shows on Friday nights try and video it because if you’re a wrestling fan this is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

That program set Pro wrestling back about 30 years in the eyes of casual fans, it should be deleted from the books of history

bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by bombidol
    That program set Pro wrestling back about 30 years in the eyes of casual fans, it should be deleted from the books of history

Does that mean that you don't want the fans to know that Pro Wrestling is faked... I mean staged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

it did set the "mystery" surrounding pro-wrestling back, simply because what was discussed in the program was little more then wrestling bashing, also revealing secrets that wrestling hasnt used in over 30 years, simply because there are much better ways of getting "heat" now, instead of shoving grannies around and ripping up kids autograph books (i mean who brings a book to a wrestling show.......lol). it was almost as bad as "magic's greatest secrets revealed 1 -> 5

• Advertisement

I meant it gives out an image of wrestling, an extremly bad one, I mean it says that all posters at events are handed out, ??????? As far as i know they where NEVER handed out, mainly because before WWF wrestling was an upper class sport and attrated a much more mature audience, like your Da and granny, and they sure as hell arent going to bring signs to a show, And once WWF turned wrestling into a more "Family" Show the crowd rose to the 10's of thousands, And no company is going to sit down and make about 16000 signs. I stilll get people telling me, "You know all those signs were handed out" And " The front row all work for the company" Like they were enlightning me, " Cause I saw a program about it once"

Bah Humbug

Bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah, I see what you mean.

So, pray tell, what are the secrets to Pro Wrestling now?!

I just read someone say that wrestlers cut themselves to get real blood. What else do they do?

thats true, they have always "Bladed" to get "Juice" a small slip of razor is usually held in their wrist tape, and after a big move they will lay on their front and hide the head with one arm and wit the other one make a cut across the forehead, Then sweat and contact will make the blood travel down the body and face making it look a lot worse than it is.
    There are a few more tricks of the trade, nothing as extreme as that though, Most wrestlers draw blood this way although some have their opponent or the ref blade them, or else they get bust open "Hardway" Which is when there is full force contact and they get cut accidentally.
    In death matches etc the Barbed wire ETC is real, so they use that to cut and pierce each other as it wont go in far enough to do loads of damage,

Bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I think you've got the programes confused bomb the one on sky is really low budget there is nothing about WWF handing out signs or anything it does not even make reference to any other federations.

Are you sure about not handing out signs I was under the impression that "limited" numbers of signs were handed out? That they somtimes gave out signs that would fit in with certain angels or with a wrestlers come back arrival etc.

I know they do take signs off fans going in, noteably when Jerry Lawlor left any signs making reference to him were not allowed in to the shows.

Its years since ive seen any of those programes, There was one i remember and it talked about the management handing out all the signs in the crowd to let everyone know who was the heel/face was. Could be mixing this one up with another one

bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 babyface

The main and real problem with that show is that it spawned all the current 'Back Yard' ****e in this country. Its true, look at the kids and in some cases lads in their 20's, they copy what they see in that programme.

Wrestlers spend months and years after they break into the business learing the best way to devolp themselves in the ring. And Back Yarders watch that tape and think they are becoming pro's themselves.

Really, its a dangerous show. Sure wrestling is fixed, but it has made kids do that crap even more thinking they well proctect each other if they follow the guidlines of the show. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 babyface

By the way IwW wrestlers Mike Modest played the part of the Army gimmick guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

rofl @ the "stunt granny" who winks at the wrestler.. what a pile of lol :D

And the aautograph book rip.. pure genius :rolleyes:

Advertisement