Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

evil !!

• 01-06-2002 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

for shame

eircomboard.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

HOLY CRAP AN EIRCOM AD WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME ONOE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

hosts.jpg

*Ahem*

Add the line
    127.0.0.1 adserver.digiserve.ie
    to c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    No more add :)

*Ahem*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

its [URL=file://C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc]C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc[/URL] for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Look at it this way...eircom are giving us money to keeo this place going, in order to slag them off even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's deliciously ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I know...I just love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

anyway to make it point to an image file on your pc?

would it involve setting up something like apahce in a complicated way, cos i dont like having that 404 in the top right, would prefer a transparent gif file or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

this is the first step of an eircom takeover of boards.ie. it just shows us that our masters are weak to the wallet of a national company, or there just lazy bums who wont bother actually working :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moan, moan, moan, sheesh.

http://www.webwasher.com/en/products/wwash/download_license.htm

WebWasher - completely free (for personal use) ad-blocking proxy, works brilliantly, no ads at all.

(and there's a version for the beardy types, too!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Theres ads on every other site out there, its a means for these sites to survive for a bit longer. Would you prefer if boards went down the subscription route ?

€10 a month to gain access to boards ?

noad.jpg

lookee here :)

Instructions
    1. Do what DBC did above with setting the ip to direct to your pc
    2. Set up apache or similar webserver on pc
    3. in root folder of the webserver (where you put your html files) make a html document called "adframe.php"
    4. in this html document put what you like in it. in mine i put an image and text as you can see in the screenie. make it in the topleft of webpage tho as you only have a small area to play around with and topleft will only be shown

from now on, when the webserver is running on your machine, it will point to that file when you look at boards and display that file. no more loading of images slowing you down, and you can choose whatever you want

ps. just use blank white page if you want to make it look like nothing there

[edit] and yes i know ad has only one "d" ;) [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

When you start paying for using this great site then you can complain about the ads.

I don't see what the big deal is. Boards.ie is starting to pay for itself, that's good news!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

When you start paying for using this great site then you can complain about the ads.

I don't see what the big deal is. Boards.ie is starting to pay for itself, that's good news!

The ads are there so we can ensure that boards.ie keeps going... but we only get paid when the ads are displayed, so if you are filtering the ads away, we aren't getting supported.

I'd encourage you to filter away any ads on the net you like, but not the ones on boards, as they help maintain a site that you guys seem to like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

these ads slow down web browsing and cripple my computer. I know eircom exists. I will filter away all the ads that I want including those from this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wow, must be a really crap computer you got there. My 56k connection hasn't noticed any significant difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Me neither, and even though it is ei***m (me hates em), it's quite unobtrusive really. and yes, ads are good if it helps out boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

these ads slow down web browsing and cripple my computer. I know eircom exists. I will filter away all the ads that I want including those from this site.

these users slow down my website and cripple my bandwidth. I know they exist. I will filter away all the users that I want, including those who come to my site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

these ads slow down web browsing and cripple my computer

What the fuck are you browsing on, an abacus and a piece of wet string?

Hey kids! If your computer is being crippled by an animated gif, you might want to consider upgrading from that Apple IIe at long last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

My comp seems to load the page FIRST then the ad therefore it does not effect my browsing, I can read the page while the ad loads, boards.ue makes money to keep the site going and Im kept happy.

To be honest if a flash ad slows down your computer then ...

• Advertisement

Sidenote: DBC, Zyox and Phaxx should be ritually beaten with supple young branches from an ash tree at the next boards.beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I think people should just put up with a small ad, it helps pay for boards, unless you're going to contribute something directly stop whining, or stop posting.

I even clicked the ad a few times before someone explained that there's no extra money going for that :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

What the hell is the big deal over a Wee lil add. So its eircom etc etc, I dont "like" them for the whole net situation but hell live with it. its hardly as bad as all those adds ya get popping up all over the gaff on other sites. Tis prescense helps pay for the upkeep of these forums which I assume does not come cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I must say I've warmed to the idea. I think its gas that eircom are paying (indirectly) to keep boards up and running.

So far no complaints (and no ad blocking software) here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

My hosts file is 316kb :D
    I removed the esat one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Ah.. I didn't realise you were paid per-impression, thought they paid you a flat fee. I'll poke at webwasher and see if I can exclude boards.ie :)

Can't believe this, I'm actually working on making an ad appear. One of the things I never thought I'd find myself doing...

[edit] There, one big fat eircom ad. [/edit]

Ahh, which only leaves Zyox in for the supple young ash branch treatment then. And frankly, I'm pretty worried that he'd enjoy that waaaaaaay too much ;)

The file sizes are not that big in fairness.
    38 kb for the one with the skyscrapers at night and the flying
    mouse is good compression in flash to be fair.

--
    DeV,
    wonder did you mention the 15kb, no animation sig rule to eircon ;)

USER: Eircom

Originally posted by Shinji
    Ahh, which only leaves Zyox in for the supple young ash branch treatment then. And frankly, I'm pretty worried that he'd enjoy that waaaaaaay too much ;)

No! Never! You'll never turn me to the Ad-Side!!
    /me bends over

"thank you sir, may i have another?"

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

amazingly enough, the four times as manay ads for Spin havent raised one post yet, put one little Eircom ad on and its pandemonium lol

Anyway, Regi nailed it with his second post. HAHHahha. Sweet.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

a little suggestion if i may,

that cute little mouse than flies accross the eircom add?

any way someone can turn that into a "shoot the monkey" add?
    now that would generate some positive interest:D

Originally posted by BiTchiN
    any way someone can turn that into a "shoot the monkey" add?
    now that would generate some positive interest:D

Like this perhaps...
    http://www.boards.ie/members/80project/mouse.htm

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

rofl, nice one

a little too adictive though!

cheers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    amazingly enough, the four times as manay ads for Spin havent raised one post yet

Because it's a nice tame gif, not flash. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i dont mind it at all. nice to see boards getting some money.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I actually cant believe that there are people moaning about ads and going to all that hassle (setting up web servers, etc) to not have them.

To think that there are people here (Bond-James Bond, Zyox, etc) who are actually going out of their way to Not support boards.ie...bah humbug to you cvnts.

look, ffs

it was my first time to set up apache which i had been wanting to do for some time. once i had it up i thought id test out my theory on replacing the ad (it worked, wheey)

but once i learned that boards were paid by each ad-viewing i set about putting the ads back, which i have.
    I in no way set up a webserver just to "screw" boards as I too am happy that boards is getting income.

less of these ker-aaaazee accusations please.

/me clicks hi speed add "omg, teh fast"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Regi

The ads are there so we can ensure that boards.ie keeps going... but we only get paid when the ads are displayed, so if you are filtering the ads away, we aren't getting supported.

I'd encourage you to filter away any ads on the net you like, but not the ones on boards, as they help maintain a site that you guys seem to like :)

Oops, ads unblocked (I did ask this question somewhere). Can't remember blocking anything from digiserve.ie in the first place mind you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

FFS you guys spend more of your life on this site than anywhere IRL and you complain when the guys do something to help them cover the costs that come out of their own pockets..

Gald to see most of you have come around but still..

Originally posted by Gambler
    FFS you guys spend more of your life on this site than anywhere IRL and you complain when the guys do something to help them cover the costs that come out of their own pockets..

Gald to see most of you have come around but still..

hmmmm, indeed

• Advertisement
Advertisement