Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dune

Options
  • 02-06-2002 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

gotta question. like LOTR, if you've read pretty much all of the dune novels is the movie worth seeing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yup. If even just for the soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

The Dune movie is good, it renders well the atmosphere of the books eventhough it cannot be as complete as the novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Dune movie (David Lynch old one) is brilliant but I think only if you've read the book. Parts of it are gut wrenching terrible and the plot is too long and complex to properly translate to film (especially if you're as faithful as Lynch was). What is excellant about it is the atmosphere and perfect imagery.

It's best to know the plot so you can enjoy his visulisation of it don't expect to see a proper movie (you'll be disappointed) you need to be quite forgiving to enjoy it but if you are it's spectacular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

er.. the movie is terrible imo :)

but the new series isn't too bad.. the 3 parter
    looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Personally I thought the opposite. The film was amazing when I saw it when it came out ... I didn't read the books until about 11 years later. David Lynch is a master of atmosphere and the soundtrack compliments perfectly.

I had to force myself to to watch more than 1/2 of the 1st episode of the mini-series. While it does a better job of portraying the story, as it should being 3 times the length, this can my no means compensate for dire acting and a pathetic script. I always had the feeling that the writers did their best not to copy turn of phrase from the film. Unfortunately what resulted was idiotic dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ditto, loved the movie and hated the TV series - it starts 'okay' but after the first episode it just disappears down the drain. The acting is awful, editing rushed and the sets are a joke (that huge grainy desert Pic they used for both night and day outdoor sets was taking the piss).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gorthaur

haven't seen the series just the film. The did quite agood job but like all book adaptions it sufers because everyone expects a different film. On ething that rewally pissed me off about it was the baron harkonnen who a real scheming git in the books and came across as a fat floating psycho in the movie. and sting was awful too.:confused:

Advertisement