Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VIRUS ALERT****

• 25-07-2001 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

watch out guys this one is a killer, in the space of 1 day it knocked out every pc in one of the netshops, thankfully we use norton antivirus and norton ghost (shameless plug i know but hey they work)

the fixer is available to download on that website.

its quick, easy, and it works plus id advise you run it each day.

this virus is classified level 4 by symantec
    Category 4 (Severe): VirusLevel04small4.gif

Dangerous threat type, difficult to contain. The latest virus definitions should be downloaded immediately and deployed.

1) Wild: High

and

2) Damage or Distribution: High

[This message has been edited by Jug-A-Lug (edited 25-07-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I didn't get it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Got it 3 times so far. Its a pretty obvious one though. Sometimes I think these things are evolution's way of weeding out folks who are stupid enough to run attachments with .com/bat on the end from messages that make no sense.. smile.gif...though maybe not.

Virii would be a lot more effective if they just said DONT CLICK THIS!!!!, fingers would be twitching to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Empty your MS address book (the target of all these nasties) and simply reply to {or reply to all} a mail from {to} the person you want to write to. Has maintained my sanity for quite some time.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I got it on Monday. Now, I KNEW it was dodgy, as the file was blahblah.doc.bat. But, I use linus mostly anyway, so I decided to run it anyway.

(My Windows installation is mostly for playing games (hey, it's kids OS). )

So, I had no Outlook Express installed (waste of space). I had no address book, and no .WAB files.

Still though, it created a .DLL of one of my documents left in the drive, put it in the recycle bin and started firing it off over PPP to an IP address.

Victor: this is where merely not using the Address Book doesn't necessarily work; I thought it couldn't do anything without it, but it started transmitting to this:

Hostname: NS4.SYSTEMONEUK.COM
    Address: 216.180.109.120
    System: ? running ?

Coordinator:
    Duffield, Greg (GDR150) greg@SYSTEMONEUK.COM
    System 1 (UK) Limited
    HightreesIce House Ct Long Stratton
    Norwich
    NR15 2TQ
    UK
    +4407974 735020

I have no idea why, as the site it transmitted to looks like a private mail server, and has merely a rudimentary HTTP interface. The IP was gleaned from watching my firewall (Zone Alarm!).

I think I'll stick to linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:

Virii would be a lot more effective if
    </font>

That's viruses fyi!

(don't bother arguing, I'm correct).

Just one of my pet peeves.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got hit with it too - thankfully I'm running Win2K and it's not able to replicate itself on it. Shall have to start cleaning this evening - I normally never open these things, but I guess I'll learn!

*DOH*

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I *never* seem to get any of these thigns in my mail box, maybe I'm not important enough smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

poor oj
    if any one got it plz email it to
    ojthe1st@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Pinky

Ah the joy of owning a Mac.... Got the ****er twice from the states... Their PC's empty while my Mac just didn't recognise the file.. Ha Ha Windows....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Yay for mailsweeper biggrin.gif

Now that we have it setup right, very little we dont want get through

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Aaah you have to love the thing, loads of more work and a load of copies of Norton AV sold in the last two days. Strangely enough one of the infected machines I was called out to fix was running Win2k Pro?!
    Nice little anecdote for anyone familiar with the Ennis Information Age project; they had several of their PC infected. So much for setting a good example!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

i just got the fukin thing today

guess who i got it from?

the ****ing system administrator of my office the twat

im a robot in disguise

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I've gotten it mailed to me three times so far, although i've been fortunate enough not to be infected. Any idea on its origin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I asked this on Ie.comp and nobody seemed to know,
    is there a utility available yet that'll strip the virus from the attachment, so you can see what file's been sent from the infected PC?
    I'm interested in what i've been sent.

--
    .sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

Advertisement