Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom changes ad campaign on foot of IrelandOffline dispute

Options
  • 02-06-2002 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

From today's Sunday Tribune 02/06/02 by Matthew Magee,
    Eircom changes ad campaign on foot of IrelandOffline dispute.

Eircom has changed the advertising for its Hi-Speed internet service after Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) sided with members of pressure group IrelandOffline in a dispute over the wording of advertising.

Eircom introduced Hi-Speed, a version of existing ISDN technology for consumers, when many were hoping the company would work on rolling out DSL fast Internet access infrastructure. Frustration at the slow roll-out led to the foundation of IrelandOffline, a group representing home users of the net.

IrelandOffline members recently objected to aspects of Eircom’s marketing of Hi-Speed, including the name itself, and the reference in advertising to the technology’s ability to ‘download large files in seconds’.

“We have had a number of enquiries about Eircom’s advertising of Hi-Speed”, confirmed the ASAI spokesperson Ed McComiskey. “A large file took 62 seconds to download, and that is in the realm of minutes rather than seconds,” he said. The ASAI made representations to Eircom, which changed the advertising voluntarily without the need for formal proceedings.

“We did this willingly. What was a large file when we launched the service in 2000 was typically 0.5mb, but that has changed,” said an Eircom spokesperson.

More wide-ranging complaints about the use of the term Hi-Speed were dismissed by the ASAI.

“These were not official complaints from the IrelandOffline committee”, said David Long, the group’s chairman.

“But we took the decision early this year that we did not have the resources to chase and lobby everybody, so we encourage members to do that. It is happening, which is great.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

well done.

(now can you get those stupid mouse ads cancelled? they give me stomach pains)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Great work! Now that's a great example of how Ireland Offline members can make a difference. That's why I repeat what I've been saying for a long time; we can't leave all the work up to the IOFFL commitee, we all have a part to play in this. Just like when the members e-mailed the TD's before the Comms Bill was passed, it shows that we all need to get involved in the fight a lot more.

Keep up the good work, everybody, and don't be afraid to fight for what you want. We'll beat Eircom into submission yet! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Go Team! :D well done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The victory is that we no longer have to watch that stupid, stupid mouse .. well done! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

Originally posted by Winters
    The victory is that we no longer have to watch that stupid, stupid mouse .. well done! :D

read the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

I have a a feeling that the mutant mouse will continue to annoy us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

I never realised that IOFFL could put such pressure on EIRCoN. Congrats to a job well done IOFFL. Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Bravo!

Thats all I have to say... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Buhahahaha brilliant ! :)

I've just heard the Eircon ad again tonight and nothing seems to have changed? Their still saying the same thing?

• Advertisement

10 June 2002

There has still been no change/s been made to the Eircom Ad.. I have heard it 3 times today and nothing has been changed? Whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

the words "in seconds" have been replaced with "in no time at all"

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I particularly like the €ircon spokesperson saying that a large file in 2000 was 0.5mb, what a croc of s*it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well, at least we know where the ODTR get their talent for guff...

[A fair number of people in the ODTR used to work for Telecom Eireann. Unavoidable of course, since they were the only people qualified to operate the Regulatory authority, but the absolutely disgraceful spin that was put on the recent Quarterly Review has, at this stage of the game, to lead to questions.]

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Well, at least we know where the ODTR get their talent for guff...

[A fair number of people in the ODTR used to work for Telecom Eireann. Unavoidable of course, since they were the only people qualified to operate the Regulatory authority, but the absolutely disgraceful spin that was put on the recent Quarterly Review has, at this stage of the game, to lead to questions.]

adam

This may be a slight bit of paranoia, but could it be that the ODTR are siding with Eircom? If that is so, there is something seriously wrong here... Of course, I'm only speculating, so I could be wrong, but I still can't shake that feeling since seeing this info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

The eircom ads are on boards.ie featuring the mouse, look at the top.

Advertisement