Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief

Options
  • 02-06-2002 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I just found out some time ago that rent relief can be had by anyone with a PPS number and that pays rent to a landlord.

It seems that the government want to track landlords - if they pay their taxes etc. And the offer us incentives to put this information up into their knowledge base.

So anyway I filled out my form for the year (you can have this done for years back if needs be and claim back tax) and I ended up getting a €209 cheque the other day!

Just thought I'd share that with you (the info. not the money!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Hmm. My daughter rented a room in a house where the landlord was also a renter of the whole house. She thinks he was doing this against the wishes of the owner, who was out of the country, and just learned about this rent relief scheme. She wrote to the landlord asking for receipts for the rent over the year she was there, but a reply has been long coming (still isn't here, and no doubt won't be coming soon!).

Any ideas on how to get a quick response?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Where do you get the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You don't need receipts, you need their PPS number (probably more difficult to get!).

Keeks, I'll look into that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

The form is called a RENT 1 form and you can get it either from Forms & Leaflets in the Revenue (look it up in the front of the phone book) or you can download it from www.revenue.ie

As Gordon said, the hard part is getting the landlords PPS number, but I do know of people who've used the threat of the revenue as a way of getting the equivalent reduction in their rent. Quite often the landlord would rather lose the Euro 15 or so per month rather than face the tax bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

This is really interesting. My boyfriend pays almost 500 euro a month in rent (well 115 a week but it works out at more per month). Horrible landlord, would be great to get revenge!!! ;)

Gordon.. how does it work, in that I read on the govt website that you can get 20% relief but you said you got 209 euro back.. was that 20%?

Are you sure a receipt is not necessary? Maybe a rent book would suffice? Also, surely the govt could get his PPS number, though come to think of it I don't know his address or other details :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I pay €130 a week so I don't actually know how exactly it works out. I think it also may have something to do with wages, I'm not sure. The great thing is that you can back-date it.

I didn't need receipts, rent book anything except for the form filled out with my pps number and his pps number and some other details. (Oh yeah and my P60 or Psomething :confused: I can never remember those P numbers). I don't think you even need his address but it helps.

Give us a shout if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What you need is the up-to-date version of http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/rent1.pdf

The total credit is €254 per year (2002, €188 in 2001) as detailed on Form IT 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It's really easy. Well as long as your landloard is OK. Just fill out a pretty simple form and get the landlord to fill in a few details, including thier PPS number, and sign the landlord section. Nice and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

If you've been living in rented accomodation fot the last couple of years you can also fill in a Form 12 and claim it back for those years. (That form is for claimng back money if u believed u were over taxed) its probably easier if you are living in the same accomodation over 2 tax years though, tracking down your landlords pps after uve moved out can be tricky to say the least!
    You'll also need a copy of your P60 for each year you're claiming.

I did there a couple of months ago for the last 2 years ang got nearly 400 yoyos back, which cleared a huge chunk of my credit card bill!

That Form 12 is confusing though. i got our accountant here at work to fill it out for me, he ended up just crossing out most of it in red biro with N/A all over the place :)

Advertisement