Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE Controllers

• 02-06-2002 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

I want to add more hds to my existing computer.

The hds I want to add are a 60gb 7200rpm ibm hd and a 75gb 7200rpm hd.

What kind of ide controller would be most suitable for me ? Theres a few diff types and I don't know which one would be the best for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I have one here but i never used it.

Ill try it out and tell ya.

Its a IDE PCI controller card made by "PLUG INTO BRANDNEW WORLD"

Its a DMA 100 MHz PCI 32bit P&P IDE 2ch/4port Card

Another number it has is 3302 CMD 0649

Int.art.no:12450

My dad says their the best ones to use cause the universal ones are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Yellum,

You wont need a card that supports RAID as i cant see you ever needing it. The preferable make for anything hard disk releated for me would Adaptec and Promise, 2 such cards are

Adaptec 1200 2Ch IDE Raid Controller £76.38 sterling
    Promise TX2 Ultra ATA133 x4 channel IDE Controller PCI £40 sterling

both are availabe from scan.

[edit]
    http://www.itdirect.ie/products.asp?subcat=Controller+Cards+%2D+IDE+Controllers

it direct have a few aswell much cheaper tbh :)

[/edit]
    Regards,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

When you use an IDE controller card with a mainboard with onboard IDE, do you get 4 IDE channels? (8 drives)

I was under the assumption (maybe false?) that a PC is limited to 2 channels.

The whole point of buying a second controller is so you can add more devices. Therefore you would indeed be able to have 8 IDE devices on one machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If you have a RAID mobo, cant you configure all the ports to work as 'normal' ide channels - effectivly getting 4x IDE channels on your mobo, so 8 drives... without the need for an extra IDE controller?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah my KT7a-RAID supports stand alone drives by default... u gave to configure them as RAID drives specfically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, they run perfectly with standalone drives, but not all of them support atapi devices like cd/dvd drives, or zip drives. This is due to laziness on the part of companies like highpoint. (IMHO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Originally posted by flamegrill
    The whole point of buying a second controller is so you can add more devices. Therefore you would indeed be able to have 8 IDE devices on one machine.

I see. I thought the point of a new controller was faster transfer rates. I stand corrected :)

Originally posted by Bosco

I see. I thought the point of a new controller was faster transfer rates. I stand corrected :)

That with todays motherboard is not how it is. Most new motherboards have àta100 support therefore a new card would be pointless just for a speed increase. Its mainly a good idea for adding new devices.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by Gerry
    This is due to laziness on the part of companies like highpoint. (IMHO)

Thats a bit unfair.... its a RAID controler (as opposed to being a straight IDE controler), supporting CD-ROMs is beside the point.... anyway didnt one of the recent BIOS upgrades for the Hightpoint controlers add support for CD-ROMs? (cant find the docs where i thought they were to confirm)

• Advertisement
Advertisement