Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SaveNow.exe

• 27-07-2001 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

has anyone heard of or got this ?

it runs in the background taking up about 15megs of memory and poping up ads in internet explorer that it downloads from some server. im pretty sure i got it when i installed Global div X a while back, since then ads were poping up while i was browsing but i didnt take much notice, then today i was playing quakeworld and every few minutes i would get 80% pl and 900 ping that would last a constant amount of time. i then saw savenow runing in task manager and killed it and then looked it up on the web, apparently it also comes with bearshare and a few other programs.

has anyone else gotten this piece of crap, look for C:\program files\savenow\savenow.exe

Mr. Chuffy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

afaik. This stuff is called spyware it tracks what sites you visit and relays it back. u should be able to remove it from the add/remove progs in the control panel. there is a good piece of software that searches your pc and detects any of this software. you can get it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

from what i read i dont think it sends back any info but just downloads loads of adds.

i unstalled it as soon as i found it, it just ****es me off that a program would install it without asking

Mr. Chuffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BNC:
    there is a good piece of software that searches your pc and detects any of this software. you can get it here</font>

I absolutely LOVE the way that when you goto that site to dload the program an add pops up!...irony at its finest!

Farls

biggrin.gifI didn't notice that, I have a thing called pop-up killer which stops those adds appearing. as you say though, ironic smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

BNC, where can i get this pop up killer you have?

Adds are very annoying, it took me long enough to work out how to get rid of them on ICQ

Farls

• Advertisement

Heres the url.

when you download use the synchronize button to update the database of known pop-ups and in prefs set the smart detect to about 20.

let me know if youv'e any probs.

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 28-07-2001).]

Advertisement