Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nios mo ceistanna :)

Options
  • 03-06-2002 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if the following is in correct grammar, spelling etc.:

Rinne mé staidear ar "Banríon an Uaignis", le Eoghan Ó Domhnaill. Is scéal dea-scriofa é le cur síos ar dhuine brónach agus ar an rud ufásach a tharlíonn dó. Pléann an t-abhar seo go cuimsitheach ag cur síos go cruinn soiléir ar na deacrachtaí agus fadhbanna is cúis lena brón. Cuirtear an brón in iúl go laidir le stíl direach shimplí a thaitníonn leis an leitheoir.

What do these nathanna mean also:

Ná bí dom chrá
    Nach méanar duit

Sin é !

Míle buíochas gach duine :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭NÏTRÔ²º¹³¦-&#22

well first of all its "níos mó ceistEanna"
    ever hear leathann le leathann ,caol le caol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I presume "Ná bí dom chrá " means don't mock me.
    Dunno about the 2nd one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

You did very well there Patrick.
    Alot of your mistakes look like typos rather than grammar mistakes.
    Here it is corrected:

Rinne mé staidéar ar "Banríon an Uaignis", le hEoghan Ó Domhnaill. Is scéal dea-scríofa é le cur síos ar dhuine brónach agus ar an rud uafásach a tharlaíonn dó. Pléitear(I presume this means "This subject is comprehensively dealt with/discussed") an t-ábhar seo go cuimsitheach, le cur síos cruinn soiléir ar na deacrachtaí agus na fadhbanna is cúis lena bhrón. Cuirtear an brón in iúl go láidir le stíl dhíreach shimplí a thaitneodh leis an léitheoir.

to compare with your original:

Rinne mé staidear ar "Banríon an Uaignis", le Eoghan Ó Domhnaill. Is scéal dea-scriofa é le cur síos ar dhuine brónach agus ar an rud ufásach a tharlíonn dó. Pléann an t-abhar seo go cuimsitheach ag cur síos go cruinn soiléir ar na deacrachtaí agus fadhbanna is cúis lena brón. Cuirtear an brón in iúl go laidir le stíl direach shimplí a thaitníonn leis an leitheoir.

As regards the other two.

"Ná bí dom chrá", is a slight abbrieviation of "Ná bí do mo chrá"
    which means "Don't be annoying/hassling/nagging me"

"Nach méanar duit" means "Isn't it well for you"

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Thanks very much all who replied especially Gael.

Originally posted by Gael:
    Cuirtear an brón in iúl go láidir le stíl dhíreach shimplí a thaitneodh leis an léitheoir

I'm just curious to why you have thaitin in the tense above as apposed to the present tense? It should translate:

Sadness is put forward strongly in a simple style that the reader likes.

To me putting thaitneodh there makes it sound like "that the reader would/will like" ? Maybe that's a better way saying, you can let me know.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Patrick
    Thanks very much all who replied especially Gael.

Originally posted by Gael:
    To me putting thaitneodh there makes it sound like "that the reader would/will like" ? Maybe that's a better way saying, you can let me know.

Sounds fine to me... :)

I wasn't sure what the sentiment was, so with the benefit of the doubt I changed it to thaitneodh(would like). But on the basis of the sentence in english that you gave, there is nothing wrong with taitníonn. Use whichever you want. Whatever expresses your sentiment the best.

Ádh Mór Ort!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Ok míle buíochas arís :)

Advertisement