Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy one.. but fekked if I know terry...

• 26-07-2001 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Aaaaaagh! Office 97.. I HATE YOU!!

Got a laptop that's being upgraded from NT to 2k. It has almost no drive space left on C: , so I want to move the applications to D: and upgrade to office2k at the same time.

Problem 1: nt upgraded fine. No problem there. however, I decided to do a fresh install as several drivers weren't working with 2000. The fresh install defaulted to teh D: drive, so I now have 2 copies of 2000 frown.gif , will a format get rid of the one on the D: drive or will it throw up the "this contains windows system files" error?

Problem 2: Must remove office 97 (standard), I have an office 97 SBE CD, and it won't uninstall!! Any way to remove it without using the CD? Is there a remover built into SBE , like the menu for setup in professional.

Problem 3: how do I stop office2000 from defaulting to C: ?

sorry, I know they're prolly **** easy but my brain is mush at the moment and technet isn't too great of how to ununstall things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ok, sorted the win2k prob... me stoooopid frown.gif

just run a fresh install and format the unwanted drive.
    Now, to remove the multiple win2k entry on the boot screen.

Office 97 still a pain in the tits tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

you mean theres people out there not running office xp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    you mean theres people out there not running office xp</font>

this now confirms my suspicions that you don't live in the real world rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LoLth:
    Now, to remove the multiple win2k entry on the boot screen.
    B]</font>

That's an easy one.
    1.Find the boot.ini file at the root of your 2000 hard drive. She's a hidden file so you will need to be able to view all files (tools,folder options, View tab,show hidden files and folders in Winodws Explorer)

2. Open boot.ini in notepad. She'll look like this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Just delete the line you don't want to see anymore, either partition 1 or 2 probably this one by the sounds of it? Just dont delete the default one. wink.gif

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

[This message has been edited by yankinlk (edited 26-07-2001).]

nice one.

still haven't sorted the office 97 problem properly. Just moved all essential files to the newl formatted D drive and ran a fresh install on the C: drive (that'll sort the boot menu as well).

Don't like doing fresh installs though.

For future reference, is there a non-cd involving way to cleanly remove Office 97?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

LoLth:

Export all you mails to a drive and folder, then do the same with your contacts. Sent items as well (unless your on a Exchange server, other wise your mails and contacts should be on that)

If you want to install office to the D: drive then you just do a coustem install. It will let you change the Dir where it is going. as for deleting 97, why not just do a update from 97 to 2000?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

archives and osts are already moved.

I would have thought office would update from 97 ot 2000.. unfortunately 2000 tried to install alongside.. then it ran out of disk space (space was the main reason for the overhaul in the first place, and performance.. anyone ever see a HD 82% fragmented with not enough space to run a defrag - it had 1% it recommends 15%.. in the end I got it done with 12% free)

Perhaps it is the versions of office:
    Office 97 Standard ----> Office 2k professional ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

archives and osts are already moved.

I would have thought office would update from 97 ot 2000.. unfortunately 2000 tried to install alongside.. then it ran out of disk space (space was the main reason for the overhaul in the first place, and performance.. anyone ever see a HD 82% fragmented with not enough space to run a defrag - it had 1% it recommends 15%.. in the end I got it done with 12% free)

</font>

Hi,

I saw an article in Tech Net t'other day where it shows you what to delete manually, inc reg keys etc. Its a bit o' work, but it does work!
    I'll find the article and post the tech net no. shortly

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

</font>
    Nope - I've done it on my machine in work. It should have given you an option at the start of the install to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm I've started using Sun Star Office and I'm quite impressed so far.......major plus its free !!!!

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

ye, i'm using that too. seems it has nearly every file type you could want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I am most likely being suckered by this troll comment, but jeez man, Office XP is the most bloated pile of crap this side of, well Office 2000.

I have yet to meet ONE person who can even use 20% of the functionality of Office 97. XP is so overkill and an obvious attempt to try and get corporate customers to continue the "yearly upgrade" type deal MS will be pushing with .NET that it goes overboard and I gauran-damn-tee that you will see only a drop in system RAM and zip increased productivity from it.

Likewise for WIndows XP. If you need a stable OS from MS to run games and apps, get Windows 2000, and old copy of Office 97 (or just scrap it and get Word 97 which is very light on resources) and be happy.

If you need to play old games that won't run on 2000, install Win95/98 on another partition.

Better yet, get linux and run Office from there with WINE.

Advertisement