Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k/3d/Geforce Refresh rates - FYI

• 27-07-2001 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Something you might have run into - You set your Windows refresh rates correctly yet it always defaults to 60Hz for 3d games at the same res/colour settings. Drove me nuts for a few days.
    Anyway, using this util fixes it (it was originally designed to get around a PnP monitor bug in Win2k).

http://www.planetquake.com/ztn/nvreffix/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

What's the benefits of it _Creed_.
    Does refresh rate affect performance??

Pardon my ignorance,

Wes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A low refresh rate like 60hz tends to look flickery and can hurt your eyes after a while. Higher rates like 75/85 hz remove this flicker and are nicer to look at. Refresh rates you can use depend on your monitor's capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

60Hz refresh rate, that would blind you after 1/2 an hour.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Its mainly cosmetic, but if you had VSync on then it would affect your frame rate as your card would never go higher than 60Fps since its waiting for a screen refresh before drawing the next frame(Actually without triple buffering it would be lower again).

One other nice feature, aswell as that damn bug removal, is a one button click to set it to the max compatible refresh rates for every screen setting your system can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

nice one creed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Its a cool util alright, although I noticed a really weird and annoying problem when using it with the Baldurs Gate II addon.

You cant run the game in 3d mode if you have set the refresh (to higher than 60hz) with this program. The screen instantly corrupts when you launch the game. Took me a while to figure out...

I imagine its a game issue, although it could happen in other things too.

Advertisement