Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Dsl or not to Dsl?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by longword

DSL contention is mainly in the link from the exchange to the ISP. Eircom have set a limit on that contention at 24:1 - so for every 24 users with a 1Mbit connection, Eircom will have a 1Mbit link out of the exchange. If two or three out of those 24 users are pigs, you're gonna be unhappy.

Does this mean that if 24 users have a 1mbit line on the same exchange and they are all using the full bandwidth, i.e. downloading a linux distro at the same time, they are not going to get the full 1mbit downstream as all their connections are being shoved into a 1mbit pipe out of the exchange??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

no afaik each user should be able to maintain their 100Kb+download speed :)

although due to the way eircom have implemented adsl there is slightly more overhead in the packets which means slightly higher latency/pings for gaming. It also means that when bandwidth is being shared your ping doesn't spike to 500 and your games are still playable while your little brother/whatever is surfing away in the other room while your playing away :)

If you upload at full speed/saturate the bandwidth then it will lag A LOT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by lynchie

Does this mean that if 24 users have a 1mbit line on the same exchange and they are all using the full bandwidth, i.e. downloading a linux distro at the same time, they are not going to get the full 1mbit downstream as all their connections are being shoved into a 1mbit pipe out of the exchange??
    Yes.

However it might average out better across all the users of the exchange - most likely there will be more than 24 users in a given exchange, so the upstream pipe will be more than 1mbit - though still at the rate of 1Mbit per 24 users. (assuming the faster service).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Right, well thats that... I in NO WAY can get Adsl. The eircom engineer arrived today at 2pm to downgrad my isdn line to PSTN, so as I can do a DSL test.

While he was doing the job, I asked how far away my line was to the exchange. 'Well, from the top of this estate, its 4.8Km's, so I'd guess you are about 5.2Km away from the exchange'.....

F*CK THAT

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hheheheh, well put :)
    I'm 1.5km from my exchangfe, but a DACS line stops me....and that fact that the main exchange i'm on has no room to put the equipment in.

One thing....is that distance measured from the small little exchange up in the village or the 10km into town to the main Shantalla exchange?

Also, ando, wireless ;)
    http://www.irishwan.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

Right!

I was gonna type a really long and angry post here yesterday, but the other half warned me not to.. so here is the shortened version!

Eircom are a bunch of misleading, thoughtless,waste of space of a company.

you may have noticed i didnt curse once YET!

I was told on Monday that the dsl would be in on friday 28th, i was told 3 times it would be in and I (worse fool me) accepted this, then on Friday i got a phone call with a confirmed date.. the phucking 5-7-02, now some may think thats fast, beware .. i was told 2 weeks and it was confirmed to me 2 weeks, then i was told 21 days due to the "H U G E" response they got. Well as i have just typed, 14 days went to 21 days and now i have been waiting 7 weeks. So if yah want DSL pick a week number and PRAY. I have lost the last bit of confidence i had With Eircom on Friday, The reason why my confirmed date was changed.. The DSL manager in Limerick changed it, and when asked for a reason.. said they didnt have to give one???????????!

So i have got in touch with a friend, who deals in company Law.. and have been told to wait until the 5-7-02. then go for the jugular!

There yah go the shortened Version!

Carnate
    Not Nearly Enuff Said!.. by a long shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Go for the balls.

Here we go 7 days and counting..

anyone want to take a bet on whether they will be as good as eircums word?

Cmon ppl .. your opinions!!

Carnate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Suprised at this treatment, was given a date as to when the installer would come..he came and installed it, nice guy too..all went sweet as candy, this was in Dublin mind you.

Seems to be pot luck with eircom, this is the only thing that ever went accross without a hitch, thought at the time it meant that eircom were giving higher priority to adsl than most otherthings, given that it prolly such a goldmine to em..seems i was mistaken.

Nice to go to bed though with the pc hooked up to the interweb and not worry about how much its costing per minute.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Well on the home straight,

Just got a mail from Eircom, telling me Friday tween 9am-12am

Hope they have all the right hardware for me..

Tune in for more updates.

Carnate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This is turning into a soap opera :)
    When you finally get it tell em you dont like the colour of the modem and to take the whole thing back:)
    Kdja

HEH HEH yup KDJA

and heres the latest installment.

Found out the ethernet modem is a Zyxel 600 series.

"ZyXEL's Prestige 600 Series ADSL Solution is designed for small office, home office and residential users, enabling high-speed Internet connections at speeds of up to 8Mbps. Easy installation and factory-installed settings benefit both service providers and their customers by eliminating the time and technical expertise required to set up the devices. The Prestige ADSL Solution fully complies with ANSI T1.413 Issue, ITU-T G.992.1 (G.DMT) and G.992.2 (G.Lite) ADSL standards for worldwide deployment, and has been verified by undergoing extensive interoperability testing with major DSLAM providers. "

Heres the link. check it out.

http://www.zyxel.com/product/category1.php?indexcate1=1021877946&indexFlagvalue=1021873638

Carnate

Well after nearly 10 weeks waiting my new arrival arrived :)

i am now the proud owner of a DSL connection :)

was it worth the wait.. WAS IT........... WAS IT

AHUH AHUH AHUH AHUH!

I have to say its phucking unreal the difference max dload speed tonight was 89kb/s... im in web xtc.

heres the downside.. Do not try and use win98SE with this kit.. even after updating NDIS drivers max speed was only 20kb/s, i had already set up another drive with Win2k and the difference was amazing! My Vote is for win2k.. dunno about XP as i dont like it sofar.. but who knows a year down the road.

anyway i recommend So guys go get it!!

Carnate.. Nuff Said!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

nice :)

What ping are you getting?

i was getting between 20-30 ping to da states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

does anyone know were the exchange is in bray & if it is upgraded as if it is I'm going to set up a active node for wireless access & the istream multi user

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

congrats on getting your dsl, i however was'nt so lucky,

I re-ordered Isdn yeturday after my 'new' line was failing the dsl test

dont reorder..

ring 1800512128 and ask for declan

he helped me.. yah just have to be a bit firm with Eircum!

Advertisement