Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dsl Pitfalls!

Options
  • 03-06-2002 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi Gang been a looooooooooooong time since i posted,

anyway heres my problem, i have isdn, (tut tut) i know, but i have had it a very long time, and by now i think i should own Eircum.. :)

Anyway the problem, i got my phone line tested by Eircum and it failed the "test" for DSL, now after over 25 phone calls to Eircum it was suggested by a dsl sales person,after talking to the "engineers" that i should either do 1 of 2 things, get my ISDN changed back to PSDN or get another phone line!. The first option was 5 weeks without a fast connection, which i had to rule out completely, or get a 2nd phone line in, well you can guess what i got?.. now 3 days after ordering a new line .. the "engineer" arrives while im at work, even after they telling me, that the "engineer" would ring before arriving.. any way he put in the "new" line and he told me over the phone that he had tested it and it was fine..even for DSL he claimed. When i arrived home from work, i rang Eircum DSL sales ppl to check out the line (pre- qual), only to be told that it would be a week to 10 days before they could check it! Right i said, "how come the engineer had tested the line and proclaimed it working, and you say its not?"
    The reply is not worth repeating.. as it was total bollox!
    I gave it a few days and recontacted the dsl sales ppl, for them to test the line again, only to be told the NEW LINE FAILED!
    Well as some of you guys know me.. i flipped, i had just spent an extra €120 to get a new line to be told it FAILED! seemingly the "new line" from Lucan-ballydowd exchange was too OLD?
    I then asked to speak to a Supervisor, who agreed that the lines to my house had a fault on it, and were possibly old copper! I had enough Bull****, and asked how come a friend of mine who lives in Inchicore and lives in a 80 year old house have dsl working fine with no problems? The supervisor was as expected lost for words and asked me to call back in a week and they would see if the line was "fixed". Now my question.. has anyone else come across this problem. and did they get it resolved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mine failed 3 times then passed.
    But you might have a legal case in that they told you get a new line and you would have DSL.
    The fact is that is a "term of sale" and part of an "agreement of sale".
    The fact you spent money on a line under the impression given by Eircom that you could get DSL.
    if i was you i would be rather pissed and ringing the Consumer Serices bureau.
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by kdja
    if i was you i would be rather pissed and ringing the Consumer Serices bureau.
    Better yet, have them done for running an illegal lottery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

80p could probably answer this better but it seems to me that if they dont hook you up pretty smartly you could roll over them quite easily in court.
    thoughts 80p?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Same story in my home. I run two phone lines, the "newer" one failed and the one that was installed when the house was built about 50 years ago, passed. Just thought I'd let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

YEEESSSSSSSSS, I am in the EXACT same situation as you carnate. My first line failed the test. I asked them if I got another line installed, would I get dsl then.. Yes they said, no problem.

6 BLOODY WEEKS LATER I finally got the second line installed, had to wait another 2 weeks for it to be tested and registered, only to be told that the line had failed the dsl test .... AARRGGGHHHHHH.. F*CKING TWATS

hmm, what sould i do now ?? Guess what, The nice ppl at Eircom suggested I get ISDN on my second line, and being the fool, I agreed. I'm getting my holidays in 2 weeks and want to get my line downgraded to PSTN and get it tested again.

Carnate, do you know .. did you see eircom installing your new line? When They installed my line, all they did was install new copper from my house, to my front gate !!!!!!!!!! From there all thats being used is 30 years old copper FFS !!!!!!!

I payed so much f*cking money for 10yards of new copper wire

Carnate, plz keep my updated on your situation, i really want some advice when I attack Eircom over the next few days when I try get my line downgraded to pstn for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

To be honest with you lads and lasses I dont know why any of you bother getting 2nd lines installed when your first line fails. Its only more money to Eircom and thats not a good thing. Why are you willing to pay so much money to get DSL? Its not worth it in my opinion, that is unless you are all millionaires.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

in fairness they might be doing it cos they aint millionaires.

they might be spending more now on 56k/isdn than what they would spend on DSL in the long term.

I know DSl is a rip of but it would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than continuing on with the way its going atm.
    only reason i havent switched is that im waiting and hoping for ESAT :x

Advertisement