Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive Problems

• 24-07-2001 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have recently purchased a 12x Memorex DVD drive that comes with Power DVD player software.

When in installed the drive everything seemed ok until i inserted a cd rom, there was activity in the drive for a minute or two then the drive spat the cdrom back out out. I tried a dvd rom and it did the same thing, every disc i have inserted into the drive has been ejected automatically after some whizzing and whirring. I have done everything the manual told me to but i still feel i must have done something wrong as this drive is a replacement for a drive i bought the day before that had a similar problem (a Creative 12x DVD Blaster). The creative one just couldnt detect any discs but it didnt spit them out, whenever I clicked on the drive in my computer it said no disc detected, please insert disc.

I have tried my new drive on my friends pc and it still happens, can anybody help?

The kids violated my honey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Sounds like a dodgy drive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

What you might try is to reset your machine with the new drive in and reset to factory settings. Your pc should then detect the new drive and reset its local drives to accept it. I tried it with a cd burner I was having problems with.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You don't need to reset your cmos, just to get the machine to recognise a drive. Thats what the bios setup is there for. But I don't think its a problem with recognising the drive, it sounds just like a dodgy drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Time for a new DVD drive.
    wink.gif

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

it recognises the drive but it just doesnt detect any discs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

oh yeah, i got it from compustore and i already bought one before (a cretive 12x pc-dvd) that didnt work, this one is a replacement they gave me for the other one. i think ill just try and get my money back.

it is true that they can't refuse me a refund isnt it? (i have my receipt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

theres another one of your probs, buying from compustore.
    Seriously!

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThrAx:
    it is true that they can't refuse me a refund isnt it? (i have my receipt)</font>

Can't remember what the article number is on the Consumer Act but yes you are legally entitled to your money back if the goods were defective/never worked when you got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Don't forget it has to be within a 'reasonable amount of time'. 28 days is usually what companies like that will specify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Whats the story, Thrax, with the DVD your selling. Its not broken is it?
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum5/HTML/000824.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement