Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benchmarking software

• 04-06-2002 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

i want to compare a couple of pc setups, whats the best way to benchmark them?

I'm particularly interested in how these setups will run using for games. i've seen benchmark results in hardware reviews that use the games themselves. two in particular that i have are Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Unreal Tounrament. how do i get benchmark from these 2 games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

I find the madonion.com benchmarking software very good. 3DMark2001se and PCMark 2002.
    I honestly don't know about RTCW and Ut benchmarking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

You need a couple of things.
    1. Quake 3 Arena
    2. 3D Mark 2000
    3. 3D Mark 2001 SE
    4. Sisoft Sandra 2002

Quake 3 will give you a realistic real world benchmark which most gamers use.

3D mark 2000 is used quiet alot still but 3D Mark 2001 SE is slowly taken over.

Sandra does the Dhrystone and Whetstone tests which most cpu benches use.

I didnt like PC Mark too much but its worth a try.

Don't forget to keep them all the same settings for each bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

cheers for that.

But i assume that in the games like Q3 and RTCW you kick off the benchmarking demo from the console via a command line. daoes anyone knoe what it is or how to do it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

RTCW benchmarking instructions here http://www.vexclanonline.com/~wolf/nyt.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

in quake3 arena 1.31, do this:

open \id1\pak6.pak in winzip. Extract four.dm_66 to \id1\demos\four.dm_67

in quake3 console

/timedemo 1

/demo four

turn the graphics down fully first so you see how fast your cpu and motherboard are capable of going.
    Then turn them up to stress the video card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Cheers!

Advertisement