Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom loses all its connections to Europe in 3 months max!

Options
  • 04-06-2002 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Yo!

KPNQwest , the single largest carrier of IP traffic in Europe , collapsed last week.

Anybody running a trace from Eircom.Net out to any European site will note KPN actually carry the traffic (maybe even the US stuff as well).

The KPNQwest network will be Turned off completely within3 months according to the FT in this Article Here

What are Eircom doing about this and when?

I certainly would not fancy being a leased line customer of theirs with an EMEA operation at present. Interestingly the Irish media is being very quiet about the situation which is analagous to ourbeing told that Holyhead port will be closed in 3 months, feck off Paddies.

Personally I would promptly Nationalise the fibre ring (formerly the GTS fibre ring) in order to keep it lit, the banks will take anything they can get for it the way things are at present (YOOO HOOOOOO MARRRRYYYYYY)

Ironically, back in the days when Eircom was worth something and hadn't sold off Eirsmell for peanuts , This Happened.

M

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We must have the dumbest or the most unfortunate bandwidth buyers in the world. First the Government buys into Global Crossing, which went titsup earlier this year, then Eircom and KPNQwest...

*sigh*

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Muck
    I'm reasonably sure (a) there are other connections (b) it is unlikely to be go completely unused. It may mean someone can pick it up on the cheap and supply it on on the cheap. And mice will fly :rolleyes:
    the situation which is analagous to ourbeing told that Holyhead port will be closed in 3 months, feck off Paddies.
    I see there is a new Dublin - Cherbourg service from P&O Irish Sea. It's not like there isn't a choice -

P&O Irish Ferries - Dublin to Liverpool, Rosslare to Cherbourg
    Irish Ferries - Rosslare to Roscoff and Cherbourg and Pembroke
    Stena Line Ferries - Rosslare to Fishguard, Belfast to Stranraer
    Swansea Cork Ferries - Cork to Swansea
    Brittany Cork Ferries - Cork to Roscoff
    Steam Packet - Dublin to Liverpool
    Norse Merchant Ferries - Dublin / Belfast to Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Yo!

I certainly would not fancy being a leased line customer of theirs with an EMEA operation at present. Interestingly the Irish media is being very quiet about the situation which is analagous to ourbeing told that Holyhead port will be closed in 3 months, feck off Paddies.

They have other European connections, and they can pick up another carrier easily enough(plenty in Telehouse..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Now

As Telehouse is in the London Docklands, how do they get from Dublin to London if the Fibre ring is TURNED OFF and there is NO LIGHT in the fibre as a consequence.

I have no interest in boats!

M

Now

As Telehouse is in the London Docklands, how do they get from Dublin to London if the Fibre ring is TURNED OFF and there is NO LIGHT in the fibre as a consequence.

I have no interest in boats!

M

Cause its Eircoms own connectivity to Telehouse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ummmmmm

This is the first I EVER heard of this to be honest,

Eircom own their own fibre outright????

not an IRU interest in someone elses fibre...like maybe the GTS one?

M

Ummmmmm

This is the first I EVER heard of this to be honest,

Eircom own their own fibre outright????

not an IRU interest in someone elses fibre...like maybe the GTS one?

M

Fibre cross channel to transit points I think- I reckon they probably lease circuits off BT from there

Advertisement