Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting together pc

• 28-07-2001 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

help, i just bought components for a pc, like the chip, motherboard and all that and have no idea what to do with them. well i sort of could guess but i don't want to risk it. i am taking valuable components from this pc too so it is essential that i get it up and running or my net access will be curtailed and then no firearms tonight!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

u better not damage those valuable components

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

come on guys, need help to unleash the power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Email me, I'll put it together for ya smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Education/Hardware/HowTos_and_Tutorials/Build_Your_Own_PC/

Insane - Am I the only mutha****er with a brain?
    I'm hearing voices but all they do is complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Big Chief

The best thing to do is to read the manuals fully and take it stage by stage,

To learn, i stripped down my ready made gateway and rebuilt it, but that will only take you so far,

a good idea is to test everything works before you start closing everything up, because usually there is at least afew problems, unless you been doing it years.

One last point, install the ram and cpu cooler before you install the motherboard, they can be a *****(it some cases) to put on after

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭KyUss

One little thing - watch out for static!

Good tip is to put your power cable plugged in to wall into the case for a while - this will take static out thru earth.

Also, handle your CPU with very clean hands, oil from your hands can cause heat ( esp with Athlons 1+GHZ)

most important of all - use the best fan/heatsink you can get and thermal compound glue always - heat has killed 3 chips on me and I thought I was being careful. Be extra careful !!! always have heatsink attached properly. In one case a 1.1 athlon got fried in approx 7 secs.....

Advertisement