Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on new music site wanted.

Options
  • 04-06-2002 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just put up a draft version of my new site: it's at www.singletonmusic.com. Any (useful!) comments much appreciated.

Cheers

Singleton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Very trendy, should appeal to the "beautiful people" crowd......
    all well and good if that's what your aiming at, but I doubt you'd find any big fans here.......although I have been wrong many many times here before ;-)

G'luk with your site anyhoooo!!

Trev M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Joey2000

I think it looks good - if a little colourful. The tunes are kicking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Singleton

that I'm doing a gig in Doyle's, College Street, D2 on the 3 July @ 8pm with special guests Arizona.

No doubt I will mention it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 NO ME TO KNOW

I do dabble in the old site-istics so I could help.

I think it's important that the look of your site has to reflect the sound of your music. If a band or performer wants to take the easy way out, all they need to do is use a standard generic design and let the food dictate the quality of the restaurant.

In this instance I think you've taken the bold step of projecting musical style through site design.

well...I have'nt downloaded any of your Mp3's, so now, from the first impressions of your sites design, I'm gonna tell you what I think you sound like. Dont be offended if I'm off the mark.

Your site depicts a musical style reminicent of that clean cut, minimalistic, souped up ego without a chip on his shoulder, very cool, cocaine sniffin, porche drivin, nice to talk to but passive, likes a walk in killiney, keeps his George Micheal Cd under the rug, Rufus Wainright CD in plain view, balls, o2 networking, diary hugging, 'Pepe jeans are so out' talkin, joints make me sick, Miles Davis reared me, Maddona made a man of me, Christy Moore reminds me I'm Irish, Pointy shoe wearin, South Park was my Idea, computer and lots of pirate software lovin, excuse me while I suprise the hell out of you kinda stuff.

Am I right?

(I know how mush such a lenghty assessment could confuse u. so if you want I'll back up each of the above with a rough visual referance on your site)

Download the MP3s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

Well, I think it looks very nice.

Arch.

PS. You know that 'Sex & Money' banner at the top? How about saying 'EP Sex & Money out soon' or something? At first, I was confused by the title on its own at the top of the screen. While we're here, have a pike at my site: http://www.stantonstation.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

you're a smooth operator, screwed up alligator man

signed: a rich posh kid from a leafy suburb

Is that you Dave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 myles

Nice one singleton. You're a brave fella entering these here boards. You're site is great. Keep it up and hope your superb management situation brings all the good fortune you deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nigel

I think the site is great. The music is very good too.

Look forward to seeing singleton on jools holland in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I think the site's great! Very tidy layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"Your site depicts a musical style reminicent of that clean cut, minimalistic, souped up ego without a chip on his shoulder, very cool, cocaine sniffin, porche drivin, nice to talk to but passive, likes a walk in killiney, keeps his George Micheal Cd under the rug, Rufus Wainright CD in plain view, balls, o2 networking, diary hugging, 'Pepe jeans are so out' talkin, joints make me sick, Miles Davis reared me, Maddona made a man of me, Christy Moore reminds me I'm Irish, Pointy shoe wearin, South Park was my Idea, computer and lots of pirate software lovin, excuse me while I suprise the hell out of you kinda stuff. "

I hope you are being sarcastic otherwise you are a pretensious git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

my computer cannot handle moving things of any sort!!!

so i'm sorry i don't know! maybe ya should have a sucky html version too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

I think the site design is pretty nice, easy to navigate, gives a good amount of information etc. I think it seems people are getting confused between the photos that illustrate the story line wich if I am correct is a somewhat cynical tale and your own self as the artist.

As far as the music from the clips I downloaded I am left not exactly what to make of it as it seems to go between electronic/dancish sound and guitar based folky pop, I am not sure exactly where the songs fall styleistically singer/songwriter or Dance-pop artist, I guess that is partially due to the fact that is it sort of a soundtrack to a non-existent film. It is hard to say much about the songwriting as there are only clips but the vocals are nice and the production sounds pretty good (I like the untitled track best probably). This gets me to my main criticisim of many musicians sites... it is really nice to give one or two full length mp3.s so that people can really give the songs a thorough listen, stick them on cd mixes share them with friends etc. It is hard for me to form a full opinion on a song just by a clip played through my PC speakers.

Best Luck with the EP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 myles

Originally posted by Monkey

I hope you are being sarcastic otherwise you are a pretensious git.

If you ask me Monkey, whether or not he's sarcastic, he's deserves a kick up the arse

Many thanks all for your comments!...will take ye up on the more useful ones (longer MP3s etc.)

Pepe Jeans are soooo out by the way.

S

Re the Roger Woolman pics on your site
    Does he do freelance (cd covers etc.) as well as Hotpress stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

http://www.themusicphotographer.com/

theres the link to his site

roger woolman that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a bit cafe society and young Dublin (bleugh!)
    but its also pretty functional and loads quick quickly dispite the extensive graphics (which I tend to hate on music sites).

I listened to the mp3 snippets, the music sounds good, well
    produced (as far as one can tell at 100kps!). I guess the presentation of the songs is dictated by the server space
    you have access to, but I'd go for two versions of each
    track 30 sec at 56 kps and the full song at 100kps.

Btw, the Sex and Money stuff is the best of whats there, nice to see the concept album making a comeback!

Mike.

Roger's very busy these days but he might be able to sort you out with a shoot. He's at themusicphotographer@mac.com

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

i really liked your site, its easy to follow and got loads of info on it, what more do you need??!! i did like some of the tunes but my pc keeps crashing so ill have to miss out ona few! i really like the black n white studio photos, very nice, i know i couldnt do any better, im sure its a personal thing to you so it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dbspin

Nice design.
    Splash page does not work in Mozilla, shouldn't take much to fix, but you should have tested :P
    Do you really need a splash page ? Especially one with this much "heavy" content ? Remember, Ireland has the lowest broadband uptake of any western European country. And the lines are bad outside of the cities..really bad.
    Believe MS have removed native java support from XP so your site probably isn't viewable in this OS.
    Suggest using flash for the moving images, and Javascipt for the scrolling information bar. Flash is proprietary, but it will load faster, is less processor intensive, and is all you need for static content like this.
    Wrote a better reply but boards.ie's bollocks update form ate it. Arf.

good tunes but if you want real trad-rock try
    Frank Ferry and the Siberian Hemrrhoids at

http://thewalrusden.topcities.com/thewalrusden.htm

Who's the girl in the photos, she's pretty cute...

Advertisement