Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PQI RAM - any thoughts?

• 31-07-2001 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed a rather good deal on 512 chips of pc133 on www.overclockers.co.uk. The thing is, it's PQI generic RAM which will only work if not mixed with other brands and/or sizes and is only compatible with motherboards using the following chipsets - SiS 730, VIA KT133 (KT7, KT7-RAID, A7V), VIA KT133A (KT7A, KT7A-RAID, A7V-133, KK266-R).

Now compatibility is not a problem as i have a kt7a motherboard but i was just wondering if someone could enlighten me on a couple of things:

Has anyone got any PQI generic 512 chips?
    What do you think of them?
    Is it worth staying loyal to the one brand for the low price? (SG£70 inc VAT)
    Is this noncompatibility with other brands and sizes of RAM a regularity for 512 chips or is it just this brand?

In short i guess i am just asking whether or not it is a good buy or not.

cheers.

Neil

"Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

[This message has been edited by Neil3030 (edited 31-07-2001).]

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

No idea about PQI but the price looks pretty good....
    Someone else will tell you about PQI I'm sure... but if you are still concerned, crucial 512 sticks are about STG£80 inc. vat with delivery about STG£10 on top of that (probably vat to be added to the £10 delivery, I'm not sure...)
    http://www.crucial.com/UK/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT64M64S4D75

Since it doesn't mention CAS, I presume they are CAS 3 on the overclockers site?

...or something™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Look, if you are not going to overclock your machine, they are fine. They have also been known to run fine at cas2, though I'm not going to be so stupid as to guarantee that. Basically all the manufacturers have been making pc133 sdram for so long now, that the average quality has gone up, dragging even the generic ram up to respectable levels.

If you are going to run a higher bus than 133, get crucial. And if you overclock, it should be by raising the bus speed as much as possible before raising the multiplier, so have a good think anyway.

Advertisement