Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120mm Fan Question

Options
  • 04-06-2002 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭

Has anyone fitted 120mm fans to their case?, I have a couple of these larger fans and was thinking of putting one in the side blowing on the mobo/cpu and cards and one at the top as an exhaust sucking warm air out.

Is the such a thing as a 120mm hole saw for steel?.... the only whole saws that I can find this big are for wood/plasterboard.

What have ppl used to cut a (neat) hole this size?

V.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i 2 am intrested in this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, I'm thinking of putting one on the front, with resistor in series (have some big high-watt resistors lying around)

The hole-saw is a worthy investment, if even bought between a few mates or something (the initial equipment can be pricey, then the saws).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

What benefit is the resistor. When should such an item be added?

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

If your frightened of doing the modding yourself then another thing to do is to bring the side of the case that you want modded (with all the dimensions marked out) to a Sign manufacturer. (Galway Signs)
    Pop them like €5 euro and afaik that they will just cut the whole for you.
    Its worth asking them as they ahve all the equipment and shouldnt be too bothered with cutting 1/2 meesly wholes...
    However make sure to fone and ask them first...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I would be happy to make the hole myself if I would find the right piece of kit to do it.

Must try McQuillans on capel street, next time I am in Town.

Any one know for sure where one of these hole saws can be purchased?.

V.

• Advertisement

"Woodies, WOODIES, WOODIES! - There's no better place for DIY"

:)

Or any decent Hardware/DIY store worth it's salt.
    'Course, you'll need a Drill too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Originally posted by SyxPak
    "Woodies, WOODIES, WOODIES! - There's no better place for DIY"
    Its theres no better BUY in diy.
    afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I have a 120mm YSTech pushing 125CFM of air in ontop of my h/d's.
    I have a server case and just used 3 bays for the fan.

It does affect the temps of the pc but its off most of the time.
    I only use it for lan's really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

A friend of mine bought 80 and 120 mm holesaws in england, sorry I don't know where. I've used them to make very neat holes in my case. The 120 is in the front, at a height which catches the ram, graphics card, and the pci cards. Its on 5 volts, and gives plenty of airflow at this speed. It is rather poorly made though, and is too noisy even at this low rpm (or else I'm just really fussy) I'm going to try a panaflo 120 instead. Don't attempt, ever to run a 120mm fan on 12 volts, it will lead to you being murdered by whoever you live with, and don't buy the 120's out of maplin.

Syxpak, theres not much need for fixed resistors, if you can get 5v or 7v out of a molex connector without any fecking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

4 weeks ago i've asked the people at woodies bout a 80mm holesaw and they didn't had them. so i went over to ther other place cross the road and they didn't had them. I'll see if i can get them this weekend.

(note to me)
    and also get paint job done.

• Advertisement

I can get them in Waterford in Johnny Hearne's.
    They have everything.

Whats wrong with running the 120mm fan @ 12v??
    Its only 45Dba.

The 60mm fan in my other machine is 45Dba and the 80mm fan's in this machine are 48Dba but they only run at 7v.

Also use some switches aswell cause it makes live a whole lot easier.

Well it depends which 120mm fan you have ppc. They all actually have different specs. All I know is that when run on 12 volts, it sounds like a hurricane, and it cools my pc perfectly at 5v. If you want to have a ridiculously loud machine, thats your problem.

Yeah I've see a Delta 120mm thats like 69Dba or something.

Just some people are scared of noise :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I don't know about you, but I'm far more concerned with having a usable system than a fast one.

Anything over 38db is just too loud.

If it was impossible to have a fast PC quiet, then maybe I'd give you some slack... but the fact of the matter is, you CAN. Get some quiet fans, and think intelligently about air flow, and you can get your PC running both nice and quiet and nice and cool.

This is why I'm kicking myself I have a 60mm Delta, even if it is running at 7v.

I know that with maybe E50 I could get my PC a lot quieter (with a better heatsink and quieter fans) at the same speed and perhaps even lower temperatures.

The only thing that's stopping me is that I'm getting a P4 in about 2 months. You've just upgraded your PC. You probably don't have that excuse (either that or you're loaded, in which case you can afford being crazy).

I have a few old 80mils robbed from PSUs, going to throw reistors in series with the lot of em hooked up to one switch, simply cos I have the parts and am itching to use em.
    Also, I've heard off a few different places that the 7V mod isn't that healthy for your PSU.

I originally thought that, but my psu still works a year later. Post up where you heard those rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I hear that using your PSU damages it.

SyxPak, you do know resistors generate heat?

Advertisement