Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zip drives

• 28-07-2001 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi there, Im a new user to this site, just wondering if I was to get an internal zip drive would a 100meg disk work on 250meg drive??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

it sure would, but why zip, go for a cd burner, like the plextor 24/10 TA.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Plexitor?? Zip drives are more efficient, even though they cant hold that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hertz:

</font>

efficent ... how u work that one out ????
    cdr's are about .25p per cd . how can that be not efficent ?? + they hold up to 700megs and ppl are now telling me i can get 800megs .

zip disks are 250 megs and cost about ... think its 9 pounds for 1 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hertz:

</font>

Not really, Zip media costs much more, holds less, is slower and is more restrictive (in that not everyone has zips).
    But Im afraid I dont know the answer to the initial question, but Id imagine they're backward compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

they are backward compatible. but 100mb zip disks are very slow in 250 drives.
    we in college had 250 ide zip drives and u could copy a whole 250 disk in a few minutes compared to about 30-40 mins to a zip100.

elexes will back that up im sure smile.gif

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 30-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, zip 100 will work in zip250 drive.
    i actually like zip as its nice and handy.
    since i dont use my zip drive to get deadlines, im not to worried about data transfer and id like to keep my cd-r's for stuff i want to keep, zip is handy for transporting donkey pr0n and downloaded apps and patches about smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I would have to go with an earlier post, why zip? go cdr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

if you downlaod something in college/work and want to take to your pc (which has no net access)
    its not much use saying well i have a cd burner at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by podgeen:
    if you downlaod something in college/work and want to take to your pc (which has no net access)
    its not much use saying well i have a cd burner at home...
    </font>

Not much use saying you've a zip-drive at home either

That's an argument for an external zip drive, can just as easily get an external cd burner (might be slightly bulkier but still)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

All dell and gateway machines people are likely to use at work has internal zip drives as standard these days. So having a zip drive is very convenient and they are cheap anyway. And there's no reason why you can't have both a zip drive and cd-writer.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Both have their uses...
    Like I often do some dreamweaver ultradev stuff at work and at home, so It's often handier to just have the sites on a zip disk and then I can work on them from wherever.. because they would be often changing and stuff, I find the zip handier, though I do have both zip drives and cd writers in work and at home...
    ..plus, a zip disk fits in yer pocket...
    ...or something™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    we in college had 250 ide zip drives and u could copy a whole 250 disk in a few minutes compared to about 30-40 mins to a zip100.

elexes will back that up im sure smile.gif

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 30-07-2001).][/B]</font>
    u rember the start of the year with the win 98 pc's we were on 5 for a hour splitting up 700 megs of stuff . wish one of em had a burner then we could of done it in seconds instead of waighting haf the fu<ken day for them

also zip disks can be handy . at times . but when i was in the collage i burned all the stuff i wanted to transfer onto cd's

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

[This message has been edited by elexes (edited 31-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you edit / re-write the CD?

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

damn I'd love to see these writers that burn in seconds, they sound excellent smile.gif

Advertisement