Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading graphics in an inspiron?

• 04-06-2002 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

May be a dumb question.

Laptop is an Inspiron 7500 with an 8meg ATI mobility summat or other card.

I'd really like to upgrade the card to even a 16meg card (would be enough to run GTA and other useful games).

Anyone know if this is even possible? Can't find anything on either the ATI site (selling the things) or Dell (ditto) about it.

All (useful:))input welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...I've never heard of a laptop whose graphics chipset wasn't integrated onto the motherboard. Sure, the current mini PCI standard could make it possible, but it's not economical, and as you couldn't really use AGP hardware in a PCI slot, your options (and your bandwidth) would be more limited than with an on-board solution as a result.

Sorry...
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It may have an expansion slot for adding aditional ram, but I very much doubt it.

Laptops are designed to be portable, not expandable.
    That is how they reduce the size, by integrating everything into the board so it lies flat, reducing the need for extra space.
    A desktop PC on the other hand is big and bulky and has lots of empty space inside and a big motherboard with lots of extra slots for expansion, some of which may never be used - hence are a waste of space - but you have the option to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Don't think the 7500 can be upgraded. However, a 8000, 8100, and 8200 can be upgraded, to the GF 4 Go (8000 came with ati or gf2go, 8100 with radeon7500 or gf2go) by just purchasing the video card from dell (US), following the instructions on their site to replace the vid card and make sure you've the latest bios. :) DellTalk Inspiron Video forums would be the best place to ask about your laptop, though I'm almost sure its not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-814 with 16mb Trident Cyberblade... good for some games and not for others.. great for Dungeon Siege for instance on 1024x768 but i would not mind a GeForce Go in there... would be nice.. anyone off hand know if its possible with this toshiba model?

Advertisement