Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote access software

• 04-06-2002 8:06pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads, does anyone know where I can get my hands on some remote access software, have version 9 of PCanywhere but since I got XP I need 10.5,

Anyone know of an alternative without having to pay out 200 nunos for PcAnywhere

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/download.html
    VNC, free, no bull, works well, supported by practically every platform (palms!) except TI graphing calculators, although I'm sure they're working on that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Get TightVNC
    TightVNC is an enhanced version of VNC, which is optimized to work over slow network connections such as low-speed modem links. It allows you to access your computer desktop remotely via a client program or with a web browser, using the built in HTTP server While original VNC can be very slow when your connection is not fast enough, TightVNC allows you to work remotely almost in real time in most environments. Besides bandwidth optimizations, TightVNC also includes many other improvements, optimizations and bugfixes over the original VNC. TightVNC is compatible with the standard VNC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you are on a lan, netmeeting will give you a faster refresh. Otherwise vnc will do the trick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If I explain the situation, I have a customer, with XP and a modem.

I have XP and a modem .

Using this software, what is the process in working on this PC from my own, does it have the exact same capabilities as PC anywhere, where I can dial in and control the programs on the PC

thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I have installe TightVNc on my pc at home.
    trying to connect to it from work but can't even ping it.
    I have a static IP.
    Would ZONEALARM have anything to do with the problem.
    If so, how can i fix it.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by yop
    If I explain the situation, I have a customer, with XP and a modem.

I have XP and a modem .

Using this software, what is the process in working on this PC from my own, does it have the exact same capabilities as PC anywhere, where I can dial in and control the programs on the PC

thanks lads

Both need to be connected to the same network (say both connected to the Internet)... get the IP of the clients machine (the IP he was assigned when he connected to the Internet) and use that to connect with your VNC client

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    I have installe TightVNc on my pc at home.
    trying to connect to it from work but can't even ping it.
    I have a static IP.
    Would ZONEALARM have anything to do with the problem.
    If so, how can i fix it.
    thanks

ZoneAlarm, may have, or it may be because you are using a proxy server of some sort at work. Can you ping other external IP's (e.g. www.boards.ie)? If you can, then you may need to look at your ZoneAlarm.

A typical install of VNC will use port 5900, which you will want to open up.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

To control a pc on a remote localtion ...
    You can ras directly to the pc in question, then use VNCto control it.

PC Anywhere is not free.
    You could purchase it if you wanted too .. but I wouldnt bother.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Thanks for answering.
    I can ping www.boards.ie no problem.
    I tried connecting from my laptop at home to the pc on the same network and it worked fine.
    I guess it probably is Zonealarm.

How do i open port 5900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

zonealarm has excellant online help, which assuming you can read this forum you can probably read yourself.

I would suggest only opening the port to specific ip ranges, your work ip for example. VNC has password protection, but I've no idea how good it is, and it's always better to open a port to as narrow a range of ip's as possible. The zonealarm doc's will tell you how to do this as well.

Greg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Zone alarm can mess up vnc connections. I had a similar problem. Just add the ip of the pc you want to connect to, as a trusted source in zone alarm. Tight vnc is pretty good although vnc does not support file transfer. Thats no big deal though as you can setup a ftp server etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It is a code fork..

Use REALVNC - you can also use zebedee or pptp or whatever to compress and encrypt further. - and of course you can ftp over these tunnels - It also shares to internet browsers on http://ipaddress:5800 - so you don't even need a viewer

You can change the port easily from the default one

PS re: I can ping boarda no problem - well yeah ... a firewall is supposed to act as a one way valve ... the whole point is that boards would not be able to ping you....

(ZVNC is vnc with zebedee built in - but since the only way to prove it is to install zebedee ...)

Advertisement