Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Rattles Like a Ba*t*rd

• 24-07-2001 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

lo,
    Have tightened everything up I stick the case
    on the frame-god awful rattling... the PSU (300W) has loads of unused(as yet) power connectors which i've done my best to tie up neatly..case is still Ryanair-rattley-tastic..
    If i leave the case off will it do any harm?
    Pros and Cons to naked puters?

cheers,
    lph

Helen to Dean, "Can you play the Vengaboy's are coming?" Dean, "No".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

pro - airy so it's cooler

con - dust

pro - easy access

con - possible spillage

pro - looks cool smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

atxflow.gif
    oes this answer your question? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tibor:
    would a lot of it not get out through the holes in the side of the case anyway ?
    smile.gif
    </font>

NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

To quieten the case lphchild, obviously find out exactly where it is rattling, then use some padding between the side and the frame to keep the metal from rattling. Its not rocket science....

tibor, if you leave the case off, you will get pockets of still air, which heat up and so heat up your components.

Alrighty right, I get ya's. smile.gif
    I've only got one fan down the bottom at the front of my case tho, should I get another one for the side then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Gerry -
    was just asking if it makes a difference to have the case open...and yes i have tightened everything and i could probably pad it out -but was just curious, for **** sake lighten up a bit....

smile.gif
    Cheers for the replies...

lph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

con - dust

pro - easy access

con - possible spillage

pro - looks cool smile.gif
    </font>

con - possible electrocution

con - possible damage of components from ESD

con - possible damage from meteors should you ever have a meteor shower in your living room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sorry, I forgot to add in my token smiley!
    > smile.gif

Anyway, I have my case open, because the ventilation in it is too crap until I get time to cut holes in it. Theres no problem with air circulation, because the machine is right beside an open window, and a 120mm case fan keeps a steady current of air flowing through it.

As for dust, well I don't think that is a problem. I haven't cleaned my case yet, but there doesn't seem to be any buildup of dust. Compared to the mountain of dust which I see building up in dell machines, its grand.

The case is noisier like this though, and I will get a dremel and cut out the rear 80mm fan mounting, and possibly enlarge it to a 92mm. There is a vent there at the moment, but hardly any air can get through because it is so restricted. I'll also cut a hole in the front, and duct air through to the 120mm fan. I was thinking of cutting 2 60mm blowholes in the side, and ducting the air directly to my cpu fans, so they are getting cold air.

theoverclockingstore.co.uk
    sell a pretty good dremel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

He means my one smile.gif

yeah I'll bring it down to ya.....just need to get me some blades frown.gif

Also I opened my server the other day to take out the TA for a test, and the amount of dust that had build up within the CPU heatsink was mad. So I need to clen that up a bit frown.gif

on a + side, I got win2k server the other week, got bored and setup a working.... DNS/Wins/Router/Domain/DHCP/Game server biggrin.gif
    all on the one box, if I take out the rest of the crap and keep the DHCP and the DNS/Wins. It would make a handy server for lans...

Now to lean linux tehehehe

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

Could be that one of your fans is knackered.

This will create a laod of vibration and noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

smile.gif
    </font>

erm, closed so that the air is passed through the case and is cooled properly actually

ye, what wwman said. the whole idea of having the case closed and fans inside is to make sure the air circulates through the pc correctly.

so the air circulates?
    Could you describe the air circulation process please? I was under the impression that the fans in pc's simply blow air into the case and didn't have the facility of circulating the air in any specific way.

On a standard set-up you have a fan at the front of the pc which sucks air in over the mobo and then the psu fan extracts it out the back.

and if the case was off this would change how?

so the air circulates?
    Could you describe the air circulation process please? I was under the impression that the fans in pc's simply blow air into the case and didn't have the facility of circulating the air in any specific way.
    </font>

usually you work in pears, a big fan on the side (120mm) sucking in and another on the top pushing out,

then you have a smaller (80mm) sucking air in on the front, and another at the back pushing it out, this works great

by having the case closed it focuses the airflow through the fans. by having the case open the air being pulled in the front would just disperse before the psu fan can suck it out. put you hand at the back of the pc over the fan and you will feel the heat. if you remove the covers try it agin, you'll notice a difference.

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 24-07-2001).]

would a lot of it not get out through the holes in the side of the case anyway ?
    smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Cheers Zee Dude,
    Nah,not the fans, brand new machine .. think
    it literally just the strength of the power supply's fans is causing general vibration..
    ...thanks

lph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gibo

Gerry,
    Open case beside an open window?? Nice wink.gif
    As long as you dont mind the odd spark from rain...
    smile.gif

Of All the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most! ;)
    Skribbles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    con - possible electrocution
    con - possible damage of components from ESD
    con - possible damage from meteors [/B]</font>

con - your mates nick your RAM[/B]
    con - kid bother wink.gif sticks pencil / knife in fan / HD / CDD [/B] (refer to electrocution above)
    con - mother smacks mother board with vacuum cleaner[/B]

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    con - your mates nick your RAM
    con - kid bother wink.gif sticks pencil / knife in fan / HD / CDD [/B] (refer to electrocution above)
    con - mother smacks mother board with vacuum cleaner[/B]

[/B]</font>

Would the kid brother - electrocution part not be a pro biggrin.gif

Only kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You can also get one of those mini desktop fan and plonk it next to an open case to keep it cool...that is if you want to have the case open smile.gif

Advertisement