Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pop-ups

• 05-06-2002 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53868

Just wondering if any of the admins have seen this thread yet, even as I write this post I have to stop every so often to close those damn annoying pop ups that won't stop! This is surely detering users from browsing the boards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have never seen it though recently im using Opera and have the "Refuse pop up windows" selected so maybe thats why...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

EH?

We're completely opposed to pop-ups?

Can you give me pointers on your browsers, version numbers, OS etc.

Is anyone else getting this?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Not seeing any evidence of this, running WinXP with IE6 and Mozilla 1.0RC2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i cant say i have seen any.(using win 98,ie 5)
    If it is happening on specific threads.It could be a members sig image linking directly to another site causing the problem.There was something similar recently where someones sig kept opening a popup asking for login verification.
    Take a look at the threads it is happening on and see if you can isolate a common poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by Clintons Cat
    i cant say i have seen any.
    If it is happening on specific threads.It could be a members sig image linking directly to another site causing the problem.There was something similar recently where someones sig kept opening a popup asking for login verification.
    Take a look at the threads it is happening on and see if you can isolate a common poster.

Its not a sig, its some problem with the adserver

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What are you running Alb?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I was on a Win98 (non patched) machine with IE5 yesterday through a firewall (websweeper) and was bombarded with pop-ups when I went to Boards.ie.
    Never had a problem on any other machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

There is a few trojans and adware programs floating around that could be causing it. You havnt installed Kazaa or anything like that lately have you?

the url adserve.digiserve.ie is what shows up if you move the mouse over the boards.ie flash ad so i would say the problem is in that area. the Eircom ad as a different URL

Here i just clicked the boards.ie flash ad and it put a little version of boards.ie IN the flash window itself, complete with drop down menus... anyone else confirm this? Or is it just Opera doing that on me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Here i just clicked the boards.ie flash ad and it put a little version of boards.ie IN the flash window itself, complete with drop down menus... anyone else confirm this? Or is it just Opera doing that on me...

just tried it out....
    ya it happens to me as well
    weird huh????

a mini version of boards is stuck in the banner ad

oh ya, i'm using IE6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Yeah same here, a mini boards.ie.
    Running Opera 6.01 on WinXP.

No pop-ups though, but I had them refused untill I saw this thread. Now I'm allowing them just to see if they are there but no sign of any yet.

I checked my machine for ad-ware and it's clean. I suggest you guys getting the pop-ups do that just in case. I use Ad-Aware to check my machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I'm also seeing the popupson a machine in work - IE 5.5, win2K

no Kazaa, morpheus etc. - this is a newish machine with no extra software on it.

I've also noticed on an NT box with IE 4, some threads are not accessible. This seems to be a coincidence with the popups coz if I look at the threads on this machine, I can view them - but with popups. :(

Personally I don't mind popups - they are reasonably easy to close, but when they may be blocking access to certain threads, thats a different matter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Saruman

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing on IE5.5 sp2 and on Mozilla rc1.
    No sign of any pop-ups though.

Ignore the bug with the Boards.ie ad (why the hell were you clicking on it anyway!)

I need info on the Popup problem....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by Puck
    Yeah same here, a mini boards.ie.
    Running Opera 6.01 on WinXP.

No pop-ups though, but I had them refused untill I saw this thread. Now I'm allowing them just to see if they are there but no sign of any yet.

I checked my machine for ad-ware and it's clean. I suggest you guys getting the pop-ups do that just in case. I use Ad-Aware to check my machine.

It was happening to me in college on Nt with IE5, standard image and Pc's are re-imaged each week... and we have no access rights to install stuff..

hmmm, no pop ups today - I will keep an eye on this

Gah, still happening to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

no popups for me. and using a standard college comp. nothing installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Yeah I get them the odd time at home and thought it had something to do with BlackNova because it only seemed to happen when playing said game, but it now happens at other times.

Never happens in work tho.

• Advertisement

It seems to be happening ppl in college's a lot judging by replies... perhaps it has something to do with firewalls or proxies (I use a proxy to access the internet) hindering the functionality of the adserver?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

It could be to do with highspeed connections.
    That's why it pops up more often in colleges than at home?
    Im getting one every 10 or 15 seconds which is annoying as hell cause i can't write this reply quick enough.
    just got my 3rd/4th this post.
    They all open in seperate windows too so leaving it in the backround doesn't help...

Originally posted by alb
    It seems to be happening ppl in college's a lot judging by replies... perhaps it has something to do with firewalls or proxies (I use a proxy to access the internet) hindering the functionality of the adserver?

Nope - I have no proxy or firewall here in work and this is where I see them. I have a proxy - firewall at home and I get them there too.

Originally posted by alb

I was also using a proxy... in dcu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i was getting the same popup ad with konquerer for a while, but since I started using windows/ie4 again i haven't had a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

was using IE 5 and got the popup, like such: http://adserver.digiserve.ie/ and all it would say is "tt", would pop up every about 15 seconds on boards.ie pages. Assumed it was a problem with IE, upgraded to 6 and now have no popups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im getting themevery bloody time the page reloads. And as I type this im getting one popping up every 10 seconds. Im running ie 5.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

"$10 off the price of flowers" is what i'm getting the whole time :mad:

i'm using IE 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am in a cafe in Berlin and I am getting bombed out of it by these pop ups! Please do something.

BTW I hate German Keyboards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nothing here.

Firewall - IE5 or Opera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

if you have kazaa or other programs that adverties on them, they start up services that while you surf the net, startup popup windows, see if you have anything like mb.exe or mbss I think it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lynchie

Im running opera 6.03 (With allow popup windows enabled) and I have kazaa installed and i am NOT getting any popups at all when surfing boards.ie. So I dont think kazaa is the offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I notice in the latest release of Audiogalaxy, v0.609w, it has Gator embedded in it, with the result that pop-ups appear while browsing the most innocent things.

Just popping that in your mental microwave to thaw....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Using iCab 2.8 on MacOS 9.2, got pop ups all last week. It was rather annoying to say the least...

Managed to fiddle with my javascript and iframe filters to stop 'em.

Has anyone gotten a popup since Monday?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No.

wahoo you've fixed it. I can browse the boards again :) .... and there was much rejoicing. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its not a bad idea to install ad-aware. Its a FREE program that scans your PC for adware, spyware, and other junk like that and cleanly removes it.

Absolutely essential if you are regularly downloading apps from the net to try them out.

http://www.lavasoft.nu

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭skittles

I read this thread yesterday and today when I log on to the net I start getting pop ups much like the ones on geocities. It was all down to an app called Gain. I don't know where it came from but there was also a shortcut in my startup folder.

regards,
    dave

Advertisement