Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English

Options
  • 05-06-2002 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, why were there only 3 texts???????????
    What was with the Shakepear question and for Gods sake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Well, what did everyone think of that? :)

Paper one was ok, pretty average, comprehension was easy enough, essay was not too bad either, but I made a mess of mine.

Paper two was actually pretty fun, I nearly shat myself when i glanced over it first, I'd only half done Boland in the poetry and Dickinson/Heaney didnt come up. The king lear question too..... paniced a bit when I saw it, we didn't do ANYTHING along the lines of part 1, so it was out, and I didn't know much about Cordelia.

It worked out ok though, I'm pretty happy with it tbh, the Boland Question was a "personal response"....and i knew her well enough to write one of those, just hadn't learned any quotes. Oh and the comparative studies questions, alarmingly easy, it basocally let you write about whatever the hell you liked :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

What was the story with the Comparitive texts? Why did they not specify the answer and let you more or less choose it yourself? Thats what freaked me out. Beside that I think I did fairly goo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

wow easier than i thaught althought i got a scare at the first 3 poets i studied keats dickinson heaney and shakespeare
    i know i was bad but if larkin came up instead of shakespeare i would have got nothing.

paper 1 the 3 texts thing i didnt care i had decided what i was doing before i found out there was only 3

text 2 a text 3 b and q6 on essay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

yea, English was pretty easy.. I was really surprised at the exam and that it wasnt that chellenging.

The Personal Responce just ment that you right about your Views on each of her poems.
    Basically Just say that EVan Boland makes everyman out to look like a Womaniser and elevates herself to a state above every1 else....
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Aye paper 1 was alright but a lot of people weren't happy that there were only 3 texts to answer on and the essay questions were a little crappy. When i saw the house advert i swear i could have done summersaults on the desk, i had that prepared :)

Paper 2 was a lot tougher for me. I had Dickinson and Heaney prepared, neither came up so i was forced to answer on Bishop, i made a decent enough stab at it so i should be alright. The comparative question for me was probably my best question, i answered the theme and issue one on how the three texts are related, i reckon i did alright on that. The Hamlet questions were kinda tricky and i regret doing the personal response in hind sight.

Overall i would say it was a taxing paper, definetly tougher than what was up last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Paper1: I answered the part a on the grapes of wrath text, and part B on the advertising a house ad.
    Did the after the war essay :rolleyes:

Paper2: Answered the cordelia question and the cultural conxtext part (i) about thhe worlds in which they live or sumthign. :D

I nearly shat myself also when heaney/dickinson didnt come up.. had to end up doing Boland ffs :(

Anyway, now to start the long proccess of forgeting every bit of poetry / plays i know! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

It was ok :)

Text 1 - A
    Text 3 - B

start/end relationship essay - humourous :) (i hope!)

paper 2?

Hamlet - complex character
    Comparative - Theme or Issue - theme that tells you something about life thing
    Poet - Boland - personal response

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Text 2: B
    Text 3: A

"...after the war"
    one of the few essays ever that I've been able to write interesting stuff non-stop and through in some humour

Hamlet:
    thingy on Gertrude

Comparitive:
    Theme about life, I chose relationships

Poetry:
    Shakespeare thing

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

it was quite a fair paper although not having Heaney was quite off putting but the question on Longley was nice and manageable and very open so that did make up for it somehow.

And the fact that for Hamlet we got three character questions which was odd but great for anyone who hadn't revised that question [me :rolleyes:]

although it's a small part of the paper, did anyone really not like that unseen poem? It was easy enough to answer on but was just a really crap poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

How long was the ad supposed to be. I had time left over so I just did it for the crack. It was only a short little ad I did. About 10 lines.
    I had already done the letter but I only did a page.

Sexual Biscuits!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

My arm hurts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

I found Paper 1 tough enough. Paper 2 was okay except for the poetry, I was really counting on Heany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Just incase you need to know...The Junior Cert English paper was easy also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

In paper 1 i done text 3 part A, text 2 part B and essay 6.
    In paper 2, Hamlet, i wrote about Ophelia. The second themes amd issues one and Bishop in the poetry. The whole country was expecting Heaney to come up. I would have done great if he did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

That was pretty much ok IMO. Not great, but not bad either. The comprehensions were fairly ok (although the questions were a little unusual). The essay titles were WAAAAY better than my mock paper (2 short stories, wahey). Paper 2 was a little bit harder. The Hamlet question was fine, but having never done a comparitive question other than the mock (literally) i really dont know how i fared there. Passable, hopefully. The unseen poem was ok, but the poets that came up were brutally bad - I had already ruled out three of the four (for study purposes) that came up before the exam and I was ok at most on the fourth (read: plenty of generalisations along the lines of 'his poetry is good cos its... umm... you know... descriptive... and stuff...')

Paper 1
    Text 3, Question A
    Text 1, Question B
    Short Story: After the War

Paper 2
    Hamlet, Complex Character Question
    Comparitive Study, Themes and Issues, ummm... the first one
    Poetry, Longley

A

Originally posted by Doodee

The Personal Responce just ment that you right about your Views on each of her poems.
    Basically Just say that EVan Boland makes everyman out to look like a Womaniser and elevates herself to a state above every1 else....
    :D

I think you might be in a little bit of trouble if you said that man!

I have only come accross one person so far who thought that the poetry was grand. Then again i suppose if they gave the title 'Give a personal response to Seamus Heaney' we all would have got A's :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thank crap Shakespeare came up in the Poetry, thats all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Paper 1
    Text 1, Question A
    Text 2, Question B
    Short Story: After the War

Paper 2
    Hamlet, Q1
    Comparitive Study Q1
    Poetry, Boland

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by OJ
    My arm hurts :(
    Over exercising it the night before eh? :p

Ordinary Level was handy. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

WTF was up with the 3 texts thing?
    Text 2-A
    Text 3-B
    Essay-the one about hope (4 pgs of pure bull)
    P2-Antigone q. about conflict
    1st themes and issues q.
    Poetry-Boland
    I was absolutely delighted with the Boland question. If she hadnt come up i would have been screwed cos I didnt learn any other poets (stupid, I know).
    Maybe there's hope for me yet.....
    I managed to bring football into the unseen poetry q. They did mention Wembley.....home of the 1966 world cup final.
    Oh and my arm hurts too.
    Today i wrote 22 pages in 2hrs 15mins for maths p1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Paper 1
    Text 3 - A
    Text 2 - B
    (seems nearly everybody chose them)
    Essay - Law (3 and a half pages of ****e)

Paper 2
    Lear - Imagry (sweet question, just waffled about the storm scenetuns)

Comparitive - the open theme and issue really ****ed me up spent close to half a hour deciding on what to base it on. Ended up going with Social Classes

On peotry i had Heaney and Dickinson done down to the ground. I studyed 2 of Bowlands peoms the night b4 just as backup, thank christ.
    Unseen peom was abit strange i thought, bit weak.

Ntb tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

Paper 1 was okay.
    I choose the Law essay, 1B and 2A

Paper 2
    General response on looking at the poets: **** (replace with as many 4 letter curses you can think of)
    My response: can it get any easier?
    Both the poets and the comparative were wide open: hence the problem for some.
    I did Boland

Complexity of Hamlet was an interesting question but doable.

BTBB

I thought the comparative question was easy enough, we did a class on a theme uniting the texts which was in my case isolation. I just talked about how all the characters experienced isolation from and how it affected their lives, i can't really see another way to answer that :P

Actually yeah, what was the story with that unseen poem, it seemed deceptively easy, which would lead me to believe that I missed something :).

I thought the comparative question was easy enough, we did a class on a theme uniting the texts which was in my case isolation. I just talked about how all the characters experienced isolation from and how it affected their lives, i can't really see another way to answer that :P

This sounds like a carbon copy of my comparative studies question :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I was happy with the open questions. To me, 'personal response' means lash down all the bull you know about Boland's poetry in some kind of coherent order with a few personal comments here and there. I'm not exactly an A-student in the languages, as is obvious. Themes and issues-ditto. Just keep writing, That was my motto on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Text 3 -A
    Text 2 -B

Essay -"...after the war" 8 pages of classic writing. If it's not a A for the essay...soome heads will roll...

pertty handy way to start the sexams...

course then Maths 1 came first the next day...*grrzz*

Originally posted by Mills

This sounds like a carbon copy of my comparative studies question :).

Yes but there is a chance that we and our teachers are all horribly wrong and we were completely off the plot, just a chance though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I did 5 pages for my short story, probably the longest English essay I ever wrote (in 2 years anyway).

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Mine went pretty well. Though english is prolly my strongest subject next to maths. I did A on text 3 and B on text 1. The first question in the Composing section. Then on paper 2 I did King Lear question 1 and did my best tho not sure i gave what they wanted still gave a good opinion. Then did The Theme or issue in comparative and question 1 in that for the full 70. And finally in the poetry I did Boland.

I have to admit I had a slight advantage in the poetry as I knew what would come up or was at least 95% sure Boland would over Heaney and Dickenson this is because Apparently the contract to use Bolands poetry in the Leaving cert runs out at the end of this year and they wouldn't renew it for some reason money probably so we knew they would put it on this year since its the last year they can! :) pretty kewl for those who knew Eh.

If someone has said this already soz but i havent read all the previous posts. Tho i doubt they have since its not that widely known. I studied Boland like a h0r and it payed off.

Ry

Advertisement