Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think i'm depressed

Options
  • 05-06-2002 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

over the past year or two i have being feeling very down and out. I am 15 years old and doing my junior cert at the moment. I belive that i am depressed. I spend a great deal of time on the internet developing sites, programming, etc. I have being fastenated by computers ever since i first went on one. There my life, I belive that i'm on the computer too much alltogether. I think that this is really depressing me, but nothing will get me off a computer, i've nothing else to do. If i'm not on the computer i feel even more depressed. There is also this girl i like, she likes me, well i think, she liked me before anyway, but i have absolutly no courage to ask her out or anything. If i see any sign of her likeing me, i begin to feel very good. If only i could have her as my girlfriend it would make me feel alot more happier. Over the summer i'm going to be working full time in a computer store and doing a lot of hard work developing websites. I don't know what to do with myself. Do you think i'm depressed? I don't know what you would call it, i don't even know how bad you must feel to be "depressed" but i am really bad. Most days i am down and out but a few days i would be in a good humor.
    Just wanted to tell you guys, helps if i share these things with other people, all i ask is not to post something bad and make me feel even worse.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

take a walk.
    excersise will make you feel a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Yeah thats good advice walk/cycle somewhere!
    Always helps me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks, even though i ofter go for cycles and walks, but then i begin to think of the girl i like and that makes me feel worse :(

then you are love sick and not depressed.

yeah i guess your right, what are the cures for lovesick

• Advertisement

no idea mate.
    but when you do, bottle it and sell it.

hmm i'll try and find out how, but i wonder how much i should sell the bottle of love sick for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

you're far from depressed. simply lonely and feeling like you could be doing better for yourself. only thing to do is to try your best with this girl and no matter what the results are you should feel more confident and believe in yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi

Classic symptoms of depression are feelings of sadness, dullness, always feeling tired. Also a general disinterest in the world around you and you want to shut yourself away from friends and family. Do you have all or some of these symptoms?

In relation to your obsession with computers, as a fellow computer lover I am probably biased. I can think of worse addictions, drink, drugs, choclolate and so forth. At least through your love of computers you'll make money and you can be a technogical prima donna as everyone begs for your help when their computer crashes or they want a snazzy website and you can then rake the money in.

In relation to the girl that you like. Personally I think in order to get over your love sickness is to ask her out. I can appreaciate at 15 this is very nerve racking but I remember (many years ago now, lol) when I fancied a boy and prayed he would ask me out, he did and we had such a happy time. It didn't last but I am so glad we went out together. I say go for it, life is so short and you only get one chance. I sound old now.

Lastly rememebr its hard being a teenager, you have a thousand hormones running around, the Junior Cert, some people treat you like your a kid and you feel like your an adult. Adolescence is a time of huge changes and with change can come depression. Depression is natural reaction to the ending of something, be it childhood, school, losing a loved one and so on.

Thanks very much, that makes me feel much happier. I don't have any of them symptons so i mustn't be depressed.
    I will give it my best with that girl.
    Thanks for the reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Its clear to me that you have one other thread here the one about the girl the lost chance the summer away cause she lives a bit away the phone etc. ok here is my few cents

1 Take up a sport something when you do you dont think of computers or the girl.
    2 Go out more i know you are only 15 so drinking is out of the question but that dont mean you can go make some friends. There by having the laugh every now and again it does help.

i dont think your really depressed well not fully i understand where you are coming form most people have gone through something similar at some stage in their life. Me included only thing is i didnt get the girl. But the feeling does lessen. It sounds to me like you should do something about it you say you think she likes you well ask her out. dont say she is to far away. At the moment i am in cork (we cant all be lucky :)) And i met a girl from donegal not thats a fair distance but we know each other fairly well now and we are going to meet up during the summer a few times. She goes to the same college as me. So like a few miles out the road aint that much of a big deal.

You need to get a life stop shutting yourself off from the world live a little. enjoy life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Unregistered
    yeah i guess your right, what are the cures for lovesick
    Mysogeny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Kraken
    i know you are only 15 so drinking is out of the question

(Splutter) This is Ireland we're talking about! Drinking at 15 is hardly "out of the question"!! Getting served if you're a 15-year-old boy, however, may be...

But seriously, drink would probably make you think even more about yer wan, probably best to avoid it. But going out and having a good time, especially if it involves dancing (combining exercise and social interaction) is definitely the way to go. Hook up with some other computer heads, drag yourselves into the sunshine and have a blast - something silly like paint-balling or go-karting would take your mind off your troubles.

Being 15 sucks, but there are good times ahead. It's sometimes hard to differentiate between what are depression symptoms and what are just being-a-teenager symptoms, but from your post I don't think you have a problem with clinical or reactive depression, you're just going through a frustrating time. And if you don't get this girl, there'll be others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Alcohol is a depressant. It makes you depressed. That's why drinking alone is a bad idea (unless you are a connoisseur and drink say, 17 year old Ardbeg for it's peaty flavour, rather than to get drunk).

Yesee, you're 15 years old. You've got more hormones running around your body than a body builder. Ask yer wan out, the worst she can do is tell you to feck off, but that's ok cause rejection gets easier the more it happens. Believe me every time Mills rejects me I get stronger and stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Ask your girl out. Being with her will make you happy and the more time you spend with her when you get it together the less time you spend programming and stuff.
    You seem to be of the opinion that you ARE spending too much time looking into a computer screen and though you do enjoy it another pastime (like spending time with a new girlfriend who is mad about you) might be just what the doctor ordered to stop you feeling depressed. So GO FOR IT!!!!
    And good luck with the rest of the JC!!

thanks a lot people!

This girl, i never meet her, even though i was offered to go out with her before but things fell to bits cause i was so shy. she liked me thing, dunno bout now.

If i get a chance to meet her, what will i exactly say to her? never done this before so i need A LOT of advice.

Thanks,
    God you have no idea how much these replys are building up my courage :) and thanks for the good luck on the junior cert :) things are going good so far

Hi,

can someone please help me on what i'll ask the girl when i meet her next? Like i walk up to her, what do i say then?

Thanks

go up and say hi.
    ask her how she is.
    be interested.
    let her speak.
    ask her what shes up to.
    ask her if shed like to meet up for a coffee somtime.
    arrange time and date.
    meet up.
    talk ****e.
    relax
    enjoy yourself.
    tell her you enjoyed yourself and tell her youd like to see her again

no problem

things to look for:
    good things....
    does she seem interested when she talks to you?
    does she make eye contact?
    does she intrude on your personal space? ie, does she touch you, even playfully.
    does she actively engage in conversation?

bad things...
    does she hold her hand in front of her mouth or rub her eyes.
    does she sit very definately away from you, unrelaxed.
    does she cross her arms...see above.
    does she seem uninterested in conversation
    does she shy away if you touch her shoulder or arm

oh, and the rest of you sad bas7ards can use these too:)

Hi there,

thanks for that reply..Very helpful. Just trying to get a chance to go up to her will be hard. never really meet her. If i do , i'll feel very wierd walking up to her. I'll try my best anywayz.

Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Sounds like a duplicate situation to one I was once in...

I wasted it, and have regretted it ever since... going up to her and talking to her is worth the risk. If things go nicely then you'll be infinitely glad that you did it - and if she tells you she isn't interested, at least you'll know you tried, and you can stop thinking about her and move on.

Set a time to do it, and don't turn back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wow, this all sounds like me a few years back.

I'd say I was almost in the exact situation as, used to be big into computers and not do much else and I suppose things would have kept going the same if only for something that shocked me and got me to change my life.

One of my friends brother's shot himself, during and after his funeral I kept thinking to myself, "WTF am I doing with my life!"

Anyway I changed, I got over my fears and I even asked girls out (something I never had the guts to do before)
    Then I went to college and things got even better, and I'm a different person then I was 4/5 years ago.

When you need the courage to ask a girl out or do something your too shy to do, just remember this quote:
    "Fear is never quiet as frightening as regret"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Must agree with you Cabaal...
    Regret is terrible

As for shyness. I was aflicted with it for far too long. Up till about a 2 year ago I was the shyist person on the face of the planet... Then one day I met this girl. She was amazing. I was in a similar dilemma about asking her out. But you just have to take the plung. Otherwise you can never reap the rewards. If you fall. Atleast you tried...

Anyway. There is nothing to be gained from being Shy..
    Life is far too short(coming from a 19 yr old ;) ).

Be Confident about yourself and you will never fail.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah, just take the plunge, you'll be a better person in the end.

Just try to do stuff that your scared to do, you'll regret it if you don't and when it comes to other stuff just stop giving a s-h-i-t what other people think.

Everyone else is too wrapped up in there own problems to care what you do so there's no point in being shy because your only making your own live miserable.

I know its all easier said then done but its worked for me

Advertisement