Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motherboard help

• 06-06-2002 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Hey,

it appears that a lightning surge down my phoneline fried my modem, and sound card. The damage seems to have been limited to these two, and once I removed all the PCI cards, leaving only the AGP graphics card, the system runs fine, but without sound. I bought a new sound card, and tried to install it. It fit into the mother board correctly, but windows wouldn't detect drivers on the CD, and when I ran the setup utility for XP drivers, I was told the card wasn't being detected and so it wouldn't install the drivers. The card is a Hercules gamesurround Muse XL, I'm running a pentium 4 1.8GHz, with 256Megs Rambus RAM, GeForce3 Ti200, the board is D850EMV2, does anyone know if there's any specific sound card incompatibility here? Also the old sound card was a turtle beach santa cruz, aside from the cd cable, there was a cable connecting it to the modem, and another connecting it to a board under the floppy drive, can someone tell me what the hell this is for?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have u tested the cards u think are damaged in other PC's?? you could have damage on the mother board its self (the PCI contoler etc..)

I have a dual pII board that was damaged by a power surge... it works grand except... the agp slot is wrecked and its unstabe if u try use 2 CPU's....

1 cpu and a PCI grapgics card its grand :)

basicly its hard to say exactly what the damage is....

thank god i have a UPS that does surge protection on my phone line... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Or if you have another pci card then try in one of the slots you took the sound/modem out of.. Or in a free pci slot that has not been used

Advertisement