Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What art is best?

• 06-06-2002 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

What type of comic art do you like the best?

Be it the older styles of the great Stan Lee or the newer Manga anime - or even a more detailed blend of both as it seems in the Greg Capullo and Todd McFarlane style?

And do you buy comics more for art or for story? Or even just cause you have bought it before?

What style of art do you prefer? 14 votes

Golden Age
    0% 0 votes
    Silver Age
    14% 2 votes
    Current (From spawn to batman)
    0% 0 votes
    Manga
    57% 8 votes
    Post modern Cartoon network type thick black line art
    28% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I feel that todays art is best becaseu most artists today incorporate the old feel into their books, look at an artist like cappulo or leifeld, their drawing is a subtle mix of anime/manga style and the modern style that has a foot in the past, like mcfarlanes old stuff. Then we have a new style of cartoonish realism by artists like Sam Keith (My fave!)

And i mostly bought comics because i felt an obligation to find out what happened later on down the line, for Example one of my favourite books was and always will be Azrael, from the early stuff i got hooked but gradually trailed off after the Ras Al Gul encounters, then they changed the costume and i lost it altogether, WHY!!!!???!!! the Azrael costume was the Best thing ive ever seen on a superhero!

Goddam it~!

Bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Talking about nuking a book.......

You see what they did to X-Force? First they have the whole Cable's the leader/father figure and these are kids who still need their asses wiped.

Next comes - Cable d-crossed them and they go it alone.

Cable back - Kids have grown

Kids go out on their own cause they're big bad secret agents now
    (Anyone see the patern here?)

Finally they ditch the long standing characters and go for a semi-surreal totaly pointless book that changes characters more times than Superman changes his costume.....

Cable on the other hand went pretty well for i'd say the first 20 books then started its downward spiral into cameo's of second rate characters and crap plotlines.

Anyone else think it might be a good idea to stick the 2 books back together and get a decent story from them both for a change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Carlos Ezquerra and Todd FacFarlene (is that right spellin) are my two favourite comic artists, plus i like the guy who does the current witchblade comic book colectionc (Cauldron and the like)

never been a DC or Marvel kindda guy. Got hooked with Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper, then got Akira (the mesiah of all comics) and its gone from there. Got to say one thing, Star Wars comics dont really have great art work in them, im more into the Spawn, shiny and nitty gritty detail.

i do buy comics for the artwork, as I tend to use them for my own drawings, and since ive been getting the witchblade comics of late, i have a lot of scantly clad ladies drawn, that my friends want off me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i have to say Ron Smith/Brian Bolland rank as my favorite dredd artists.Bollands covers for 2000ad were mini masterworks of art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah Alex Ross I think....that did the art for the Universe X and Earth X etc mini series.

Some great artwork there - he went all out and away from a line drawying type style to a fully painted comic.

Same was done about Kingdom come but I haven't had a chance to read that yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Brian bolland
    Simon Bisley
    Kev O'Neill
    Mike McMahon
    Todd Mcfarlaine

and of corse

Frank Miller :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I collect Alien books and i love their stlye, i like todd mac farlene's work but im not into spawn,

Advertisement