Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Information needed........

• 31-07-2001 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I need to know how exactly to connect a network to use 10/100-BaseTX cabling for a 8-port hub/switch and use ISDN at the same time.
    Can I plug the ISDn terminal into the HUB and then use it from each pc or do I need a router? If not can some one help with setting up Internet connection sharing?
    AFAIK it's going to be Win98SE that'll be run, thogh there's a big blue workstation in a 8" tower that I believe may be running some flavour of UNIX. It's for processing CAD drawings etc.
    Can ye give me the name and model number of that internal Eicon Diva TA that's supposedly class. This is a setup for a business so htis TA would want to perform well at everything but mostly reliability and speed (It won't be used for gaming - well not much) needs to be done as flawlessly as possible.

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you are going with an internal isdn board, get the eicon diva pro 2. The machine with this card acts as the gateway. Theres no other way of doing it, without purchasing an isdn router. The isdn line coming from the wall is completely incompatible with ethernet, it just happens to use the same cabling. On the gateway machine, you can be running win2k or some flavour of unix. It also has a network card, and connects to the hub. Setting up ICS in win2k is **** easy, and setting up unix to act as a gateway is not too difficult either. Plenty of tutorials on the web. After that you need to decide if you want a firewall for security. The machines on the lan then access the net through this gateway machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ok, thanks Gerry.
    I think I should have gone to the Net/Comms boards by rights, as this is only loose;y tech based, but anyways....
    Would it be worth getting a switch anyways?
    he bought a 16 port 10/100 switch for £270 and its way over-spec, an 8-port will do fine really.
    I on't think he has Win2k on any of the machines, I'll have to check with him.
    So far he has a P166 or something for paper work, a Celeron 400+ for other stuff an there's some Server coming too..
    I got this over a phone call so I'm not too sure what the situation is entirely.
    Thanks for the help anywyas though.
    BTW, how much is that Eicon Diva?
    I have an idea its something like £70?
    a URL would be very nice too wink.gif
    [Insert shame-less plug -here- ]
    John

Advertisement