Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Names

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Big Thing

Steve,

Very good analogy, is RyanAir. When you go to find their loss leader, it is unavailabe. So you end up paying the real price they want you to and this is how they get their margin.

Thanks for clarifying that this is your system also. The fact is, those services, that you are quoting such low prices for, are simply not available.

In actual fact your real prices are not on your website or advertisements but are those charged when the order is placed, isn't that right? So you do actually make a profit after all!!!

Wow, smart one, like it, good on you man, great strategy! That really sock it to the big guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Why do I get the feeling Godzilla is a jealous hosting/domain provider :) lol :)

ps: btw - who are the big guys to sock it to? :)

pps: why not try place an order and see :)

Steve,

IOL no less!

Wow, I am impressed with the competitors you are annoying. Who else gives you trouble?

Well, you certainly seem intent on trying :):) LOL Especially since you only registered to participate in this thread,

Anyway, have a good weekend, Steve

• Advertisement

Me. perish the thought,

Have a good weekend also, bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Hi I'm wondering how much domain names are - where is cheap to buy them. By the way I work for a company that sells domain names and hosting services. Here's the URL..."

Er, come on Steve. I know there have been few opportunities to pimp your services lately but did you really feel the need to start a new thread just so you could?

Is Big Thing a real person or are you Doing A Boston™?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyway, have a good weekend, Steve

Missing line breaks or talking to yourself?

Oh, the irony.

adam

Big Thing is the real thing!

Steve is not. This thread is a blatant piece of self promotion, started by Steve. Hosting365 is not for real.

The Hosting365 is not a patch on the RyanAir site and, unlike the RyanAir site, it doesn't function properly.

Hosting365 has delcared that it is not making a profit with the prices it is charging. Can Hosting365 continue to deliver the services it has on offer? I doubt it.

See what happens when you try to offer a great-value service to the Irish Internet consumer!? No wonder the current prices charged by other registrars/hosts are so high !!

Big Thing - point taken, but why don;t you own up to who YOU are ? At least I'm honest in my promotion,

Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The fact is that Steve offers the best prices around and by doing this , in turn other companies will reduce there prices.

Is this not a good thing, so why is everyone jumping on his back.
    I can understand that his self promotion may be a little hard sell sometimes. But frankly he is just interacting with users and giving good advice. If you read through some of steves posts he usually gives good advice and is open to suggestions etc.

Also as many users will know that steve has offered free hosting to a number of causes that where talked about here on boards.

just my 2 c

also WHO IS BIG THING

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I must say that for me, Hosting365 provide an excellent service. They offered free hosting for IrelandOFFLine when I was involved there (as it turned out, one of the committee members, dahamsta, ended up hosting it), they've offered free co-location hosting to boards.ie - which I think is dead good of them, they've provided a brilliant server setup and domain names to me for my own web dev projects for an unbeatable price, and their support staff are very professional and helpful.

However, I don't think they should be getting the unfair advantage of free advertising... which is what a thread like this ends up being nothing but...

The company's quality of service and word of mouth seems to be all the advertising they need at the moment. However, I believe boards.ie do have clear rules about spam/ad posts, so a bit more care is needed there, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Bunch off fecking begrudgers, the lot of ye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Big Thing

IOL no less!

Wow, I am impressed with the competitors you are annoying. Who else gives you trouble?

This seems to be a somewhat amusing thread but IOL is definitely in a tailspin at the moment as regards domain name registrations. Indigo seems to have been completely subsumed by Eircom. I've been messing around with the idea of doing a hosting company stats page [1] just to illustrate which companies are gaining and which are losing.

Most of the ISPs seem to be being edged out by the independent operations. This trend has been apparent for the last few years and the trigger seems to have been the demonopolisation of the .com/.net/.org registrations.

What a lot of people seem to neglect is that the .ie namespace is actually in very low demand. On any given day, the number of CNO registrations is higher and it is far more effecient for hosting companies such as hosting365 to go for a CNO registration rather than push an over priced and under recognised .ie on the customer. With a CNO domain, the registration process can be completed in minutes whereas it can take a few days for the .ie process. (I think that the number of .ie domains registered in May was about 600 whereas the net [2] Irish owned CNO registrations figure was over 900.)

Naturally some people here will begin to get upset if they see a sales pitch but it can be a very fine line between market research and promoting hosting related services. :)

Regards...jmcc

[1] Not exactly promoting whoisireland.com but monitoring domain name registrations and trends is part of the business. ;)

[2] Number of Irish owned CNO domains registered minus number of Irish owned CNO domains deleted.

Jmcc> the .ie namespace is actually in very low demand

But is that low demand a result of the high price and the perceived hassle, or do people just 'prefer' a com/net/org?

Steve

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not if you read the (wonderfully ficticious) First Annual Report it's not!

But is that low demand a result of the high price and the perceived hassle, or do people just 'prefer' a com/net/org?

I think a lot more people would register in IE if the process was made simpler (with automation for a start) and the prices were dropped. As it is, who's going to pay 3-4 times the price for 3-4 times the hassle? In fact I don't think it, I know it.

adam

At the moment, the process is 'fairly' simple for companies and sole traders, as long as they have Registered Business Names or Certificates and are around longer than three months.

Someone can order a .ie at our site, enter the company number / RBN cert number in to the box, and get their .ie next day, with no paperwork! :)

New companies, organisations, schools, other traders, etc - that's when the fun starts :)

Things are -slowly- improving,

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 briandoyle

awww, he's selling his earrings to make up for selling his below cost domains.

ah the sacrifices!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=52057

What is it with all these newbies pulling the p**** :) That ad was for a friend :) Why brian, do you like them :):)

At the end of the day, people vote with their wallets,

Steve

ps: just to clarify - they are AT cost, not BELOW cost - there is a big difference :)

Do you really expect us to believe that, Steve!

How about your Nintendo?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=52061&highlight=stevehosting36w.

What else are you selling to fund you cost price operation?

• Advertisement

So, because I work for a hosting company I'm not allowed use this board like everyone else? I bought that nintendo here, and, after 6 months of good service, it moved out to make way for my gamecube :)

And again, our domain names are cost price, but as they account for fractional turnover, I could hardly classify our <profitable> hosting/dedicated servers/colocation business as cost price ;p

Steve

btw: who is Big Thing?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dahamsta

Not if you read the (wonderfully ficticious) First Annual Report it's not!

Yeah but the IEDR does not have access to the information that NSA [1] has to hand. ;) The ebb and flow of domain names is very apparent on the CNO side of things with hundreds of domains being deleted each month. However the churn on .ie domains is not so high. Looking at the last-modified dates on the .ie domain websites is also interesting in that it shows a core of about 5000 sites (if I rem correctly) that have been modified this year. That complete number of .ie websites is around 20K or so. A surprisingly high number are salami box holding pages.

I think that IEDR managed to do the impossible - completely bo11ix a cctld during the biggest market for domain registration *ever*. Rather than cut the prices and go with the flow these people destroyed the chances for viability of .ie. Even Aerlingus goes .com. It is sad to see the national domain in the hands of such characters. Just looking at the pictures in the report, Fagan looks very old all of a sudden. :)

Regards...jmcc
    [1] Network Search Associates. ;)

Originally posted by steve-hosting36

.ie = High price and high hassle. The other factor is that people instinctively add .com after when you tell them your e-mail address. On a verbal basis, .com is recognised throughout the world, .ie sounds iffy in French. :)

The ease of getting a CNO and the cost means that people tend to go for CNO rather than .ie

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Steve has always been very forth coming with advice and help, emailing and PMing suggestions, I will be using him from now on, some one that helps you out and looks nothing in return, well feck lets all hurl abuse at hi on a forumn..... thats some way to repay him....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ah sure why not ? like thats what we are here fore...and i would agree it his first few posts there were a little more than suspect but what da hell if i was work'n for em i'd probally do the same I really can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

i have used steve's company and i love him , what more can one say than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Eurofficial

For .com/.net/.org domains...I found www.godaddy.com to be the best.
    They are $8.95 and cheaper when u buy in bulk!

Advertisement